What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.regia

I am going to get a D.regia in a few months. I have a few questions, though.
1. Does it require dormancy?
2. How much water does it like?
3. And how easy is it to grow?
Thanks,
dewy

Hi dewy,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. Does it require dormancy?
Nope
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. How much water does it like?
Standard Drosera care mainly. Use the tray method.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3. And how easy is it to grow?
Not for me, although I wish it were. They seem to die back to their roots, and then sprout up again at various times.

Hope others respond with more insightfull responses than mine,

Homer

What Homer said. Plus, it is hardy to at least 26 degrees F. Sometimes a hard keep. Can be fussy so just do your best. My only regia got to 30 inch leaves, 1 inch wide at its largest leaf width. Then, as fast as it grew to that size, it dwindled, and died. Others also have had better luck raising them than I under the same conditions.

Thanks for all of the replys. Will it do well as an indoor plant?

I grow my two D. regia in terrariums indoors. From my short experience with them, they don't seem to like higher temperatures. They're leaf tips turn black when they get too hot. Other than that, the plants have been pretty easy to grow. They're a bit fussy at times but are fun!

Some people's opinions, including the dying back part, indicate it does like a dormancy.

Cheers,

Joe

Mine have continually been getting bigger. Haven't had any dying back yet and they even got dried out a few weeks ago when I was out of town for a week. I even repotted mine and they didn't seem to mind. I did notice a little shock from just changing their growing environment but they adjusted after a few weeks.

From what I read they will go into dormancy if the conditions are right. So don't give them a chance too. I grow mine in LFS/Perlite mix and use the tray system. They're growing under my indoor 4ft shoplights. I have no idea how they will grow outside, this will be my first spring/summer transitioning them outside.

I have been playing with D. regia since the 1970s. Here is a link to a 1980 CPN article about my experience growing the plant.
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/pubs/CPN80.pdf

I find them easy to grow in a well drained mix of sphagnum peat and perlite that I watere from the top. My plants tend to produce numerous root sprouts that can be clipped and repotted.
D_regiaBigEasy2704.JPG

Here is a link to my experience with 'Big Easy'.
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/D_regiaBigEasy.html

That's nuts Bob! D. regia coming out of the drainage holes
cool.gif

all i can say is the one i have dont like me. it is continually producing leaves about 2 inches long and thats it. it just dont like me, course the leaves it has are quite healthy looking, they just dont get very long or last more than about a month to 6 weeks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I find them easy to grow in a well drained mix of sphagnum peat and perlite ...
Hey Bob,
I guess so!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
That picture says it all! I've seen a number of D. adelae pics with plants coming out everywhere but that's the 1st w/ D. regia plants all over. Wow!

Back