What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. dilatato-petiolaris "Nhulunbuy, NT"

Here's a picture I took yesterday of one of my Petiolaris Complex Drosera.

I recieved some D. dilatato-petiolaris "Nhulunbuy, NT" seed 1 year ago. This is the lone plant that germinated from the batch. That plant is about 2" in diameter.

dilatato-petiolaris040106.jpg

-Homer

Yummy! And I see you've adopted as your new avatar.

One out of a pack of seed sounds bad, but if it's a mall pack of say 10 seed or so, one is good enough(any more is icing).
Nice plant!

Cheers,

Joe

Now that's a true D. dilatato-petiolaris, and an extremely nice one too!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One out of a pack of seed sounds bad, but if it's a mall pack of say 10 seed or so, one is good enough(any more is icing).

I believe there were only 10 or so seeds in the packet. One is indeed good enough, especially if my leaf cuttings work out for this plant ( I pulled 15 leaves off of it today ).

-Homer

Score! I hope the leaf cuttings work out. Is that a platlet in the bottom right of the picture or is it some cleverly lying moss?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Is that a platlet in the bottom right of the picture or is it some cleverly lying moss?

Good eye Est! It's some moss that I haven't weeded AND some U. pubescens. I'm hoping that this utric will bloom now that its in a warm environment.

-Homer

Awesome!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ April 02 2006,7:34)]Now that's a true D. dilatato-petiolaris, and an extremely nice one too!
Completely agree!! Really nice to see such a healthy, well-grown plant.

That's a great plant, Homer. How are you getting on with your petiolaris complex cuttings?

Cheers,

Greg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How are you getting on with your petiolaris complex cuttings?

Hi Greg. D. paradoxa is easiest. I have had some success with D. petiolaris and D. falconeri. After I took this photo, I pulled about 15 leaves from this plant. That was 2 weeks ago. I changed up my "leaf cutting" system, ie, better lighting, warmer conditions this time around, so hopefully I'll know if buds appear before the weeks is out.

I'll keep you posted.

-Homer

Cheers, Homer. I'll have a go with D paradoxa as soon as I get time. Have you tried D ordensis yet? I've a couple of D ordensis plants that are coming on nicely and will be ripe for cuttings soon.

Greg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Have you tried D ordensis yet?

Yes, I've tried, with 0% success rate.
smile_h_32.gif

Not sure what to do next, as my D. dilatato-petiolaris look in poor shape 3 weeks after the cuttings.

-Homer

Well, if anyone cares to hear this, the plant has now sent up a flower stalk. Maybe stress induces flowering?
smile_m_32.gif

-Homer

Or maybe spring is its time for flowering?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or maybe spring is its time for flowering?

Could be; however, the plant has been subjected to the same photoperiod for over a month. The only "change" occured when I started pulling leaves off. Only then did the flower stalk come about. Regardless, this is a good thing.

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ April 25 2006,11:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Have you tried D ordensis yet?

Yes, I've tried, with 0% success rate.
smile_h_32.gif
I can 2nd that. Glabrous plants are generally more forgiving w/ water propagation. The pubescent varieties are more stubborn
mad.gif

Not impossible tho.....
smile_l_32.gif

How do you propogate the hairy petiolaris members? Do they for clumps that can be divided?

Cheers,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greg Allan @ April 30 2006,1:12)]How do you propogate the hairy petiolaris members? Do they for clumps that can be divided?

Cheers,
As I mentioned above, I'm batting zero with water propagation of the hairy plants (probably something over 50 leaves & multiple attempts). The maestro has regular success with them though....
confused.gif

As for divisions, it seems that any of the complex will add add'l growth points if they're happy. Once they start, they continue to divide regularly (or so it seems). The Zen Master reported a D. ordensis with something like 20 growth points. In Lowrie's book, many of the plants are shown growing in spreading clumps.

I can attest to the experience of D. paradoxa multiplying on their own. This is how they looked two falls ago:

Dscn0183.sized.jpg

After giving away ~5 of them, this how many there were last fall:

AR000102.jpg

I am definitely seeing baby plants mixed in with mature plants. Forget the hand pollination and leaf cuttings!

Back