What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpiodes

droseraguy

Illinois
How pink is pink ? I was told the gemmae were from the white flowered sp. but now the flowers are showing a distinct blush of pink. I guess my question is how pink is the pink flowered sp. ??

I remember mine being a medium pink, as oppoesd to pale or fuschia.

When mine flowered... They were very white. The pictures i found in my library have no pink at all... But the plants were not getting very much light back then either. So I guess I don't know.
confused.gif
lol

I dug up an old. blurry pic of flower buds, with D. binata lurking in the background:

D_scorpiodes_Vic_Brown.jpg

Hi jimscott,
Nice plants - plenty of flowers anyway. Interestingly I notice that you are growing them along with sphagnum - most pictures are of them on flat peat with other low growing mosses (as are mine). However I know that they eventually get too tall and fall over, then root as they go a bit. I wonder if growing them in sphagnum means the 'soil level' keeps up with the plant and so allows upright rooting as the plant grows...? Any idea what they grow in in habitat? Anyway I will be trying a couple of my pots with some sphagnum added and compare it to a couple without and see how they fare.

Best regards

Chris
Chershire, UK where my first Sarracenia flowers are just opening (at last).

I think this will work ? Here's my first attempt at attaching a couple pics.
HPIM0396.jpg

pink.jpg

D.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CactusChris @ April 06 2006,3:21)]Hi jimscott,
Nice plants - plenty of flowers anyway. Interestingly I notice that you are growing them along with sphagnum - most pictures are of them on flat peat with other low growing mosses (as are mine). However I know that they eventually get too tall and fall over, then root as they go a bit. I wonder if growing them in sphagnum means the 'soil level' keeps up with the plant and so allows upright rooting as the plant grows...? Any idea what they grow in in habitat? Anyway I will be trying a couple of my pots with some sphagnum added and compare it to a couple without and see how they fare.

Best regards

Chris
Chershire, UK where my first Sarracenia flowers are just opening (at last).
This was part of my learning curve. I have since learned that sphagnum, especially when it becomes alive, overwhelms them. That batch almost totaly died out a few months later. They are naturally in a much sandier medium, something like 70-30% sand to peat. They also do better when attention is paid to vertical space to grow, more than horizontal.

Back