What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growers of Byblis linoflora

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Do you put them in the fridge for a month or freshly sow them?

Mine is just opening it's first flowers.

I believe the seed I recieved had been stored.

Keep them at dry at room temperature at a month before sowing them.
smile_m_32.gif
I am trying that this round with my seeds. I can be more sane this way knowing that I am actually preparing the seeds for germination than to sow fresh seeds and stare at an empty pot for 2 months+!

Hmmmm.... Dave, when you say storage, is that cold storage? Boy do I get conflicting approaches and conflicting results!

Aw hileback I received 23 seeds and I did nothing special to them, treating them as I would Drosera seeds. All germinated. I recently asked the sender waht was done prior to shipping. They were stored for a month in a fridge. That same individual sent another batch, several months later and only 3 germinated. Another individual sent me seeds and only 2 germinated. Don't know what he did, though. Yet another hobbyist sent me seeds and did the 10% bleach, and soak in warm water thing. Nothing germinated. Never even saw that purple dye. I am really lost as to what to do or whether seeds I am receiving are actually viable to begin with.

Cindy, did you hand-pollinate yours and id so, how did you do it?

Hi Jim,

I don't store them in the fridge and I typically try sowing (with bleach pretreatment) or giving/trading them away within a couple of weeks of the seed pod ripening. My germination rate is about 2/3.

As for hand pollination, I use a fine camelhair brush to self-pollinate the flowering plant, or try pollinating another plant if it happens to be in the same stage of flowering.

Hope this helps.

I see so many approaches and just about every permutation possible of success and failure. Gotta love it!

I left the pot outside all winter after letting the plants drop seed in it. There are germinations occuring right now. Got nights well below freezing during winter. Seems to be a robust seed

Ya know, about the only thing consistent is having viable seed to begin with.

Well if you need viable seed I might still have a pack in the frige...

Jimscott, I just use a toothpick to whisk the anthers a few times.
laugh.gif
There was once when a flower closed before I pollinated it. What I did was to roll the flower gently between my thumb and index fingers.

To date:
Self-pollination: 12 seeds
Toothpick pollination: 42 seeds!
Roll-a-roll pollination: 49 seeds!!!
cool.gif

Btw, I noticed that fresh seeds don't work very well. For me at least.

Jim,

I sow mine right away when I get seeds (twice) and then nothing happens!

Apparently not the correct approach.
smile_h_32.gif

I hear Christmas is right around the corner.
smile_m_32.gif
(Sorry for taking so long)

Glenn

Pyro, Cindy, and Glenn: Thank you... on a variety of levels!

Travis, the U warburgii is flowering nicely. So far there are 11 stalks!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 11 2006,1:08)]Pyro, Cindy, and Glenn: Thank you... on a variety of levels!

Travis,  the U warburgii is flowering nicely. So far there are 11 stalks!  
smile.gif
Guess what? One of my B.liniflora seeds appears to have finally germinated. I scraped 7 of the B.liniflora seeds off of the peat moss (the ones that haven't germinated after 5 months) and put them in distilled water as an experiment. Lo and behold, 5 days later one of the seeds is sending out a root while another one appears to be doing the same.BTW, the seeds that I sowed in this pot, five months ago, were fresh off of my plant.
dewy

From what I have gleened, people have had success AND failure both from sowing freshly and putting them in cold storage. What seems to be reality is that successful germination is mostly pollination skills and THEN sowing skills. If it aint been pollinated, all the sowing skills in the world won't achieve germination.

I find that germination can be erratic. A few from each batch usually germinate within a few weeks for me, but some seem to take up to 1 year.

Cheers,

Greg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 12 2006,11:05)]If it aint been pollinated, all the sowing skills in the world won't achieve germination.
If it ain't been pollinated, you won't even get any seeds.
smile_m_32.gif

Back