What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera graminifolia

Just a quick question about D.graminifolia. Will it grow well with temps around 85F during the day and about 72F at night? I have one one the way, so any tips on how to grow this plant successfully would be greatly appreciated.
dewy

Don't know if it's ideal, but mine was getting that and warmer when I had them at the lab.

According to me there is no problem...mine growed very well last summer....

Thanks for the help guys.How do you propagate it? Is seed the only way?
dewy

D.graminifolia is a South American species that generally prefers warm days and cooler nights. Mine seem to grow faster in the winter when my indoor temps are 75F/65F day/night. In the summer, temps are 85F/75F day/night and while the plant doesn't die, it grows slower.

Some people report no problems with higher night temps but I've seen a difference with my plant.

I grow mine in pure new zealand LFS 4" under 160W cool white fluorescent lighting (14h photoperiod), in 50-80% humidity.

If the plant is doing well, it can send up divisions nearby. Wait until these are large enough then you can put them in a separate pot. I haven't had any luck with leaf cuttings.

Good luck with it.

D. gramnifolia, like stated before is a Brazilian Drosera. IN essence, a highland plant. Cool nights, hot days. Grow in LFS or living LFS in a near waterlogged state with many drainage holes in the pot. I can get a photo of my setup if you wish.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ April 11 2006,7:16)]D. gramnifolia, like stated before is a Brazilian Drosera. IN essence, a highland plant. Cool nights, hot days. Grow in LFS or living LFS in a near waterlogged state with many drainage holes in the pot. I can get a photo of my setup if you wish.
A photo would be great. Thanks for all of the help guys.
dewy

I just happen to have a picture:

AF002101.jpg

8674535b.jpg

It has just twoleaves because it cut 2 of them off to try cuttings!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FedeAbra @ April 13 2006,6:57)]
8674535b.jpg

It has just twoleaves because it cut 2 of them off to try cuttings!
Nice. I got mine today, and the mother plant is about as large as yours. It also has 5 baby plants growing at the base of the mother plant, so hopefully I will have a nice, full pot of D.graminifolia. Thanks for all of the help everyone.
dewy

I found a 5-10 degree drop in night time temps gave me the best results.   Planted in live milled LFS and double potted so the water level was 3-4 cm beneath the surface this plant grew from seed in a year and a half and flowered shortly after the photo was taken, but was sterile for seed.  Avoid warm roots at all times, and to this end the water container was chosen to be reflective white.  If the summer temps exceeded 85F the plant was placed in a cool cellar window for the duration.  The plant never holds more than 3 leaves at any one time, so no worries if that's all yours has.

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/sundews/Drosera_graminifolia_112903_3

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 04 2006,8:22)]I found a 5-10 degree drop in night time temps gave me the best results.   Planted in live milled LFS and double potted so the water level was 3-4 cm beneath the surface this plant grew from seed in a year and a half and flowered shortly after the photo was taken, but was sterile for seed.  Avoid warm roots at all times, and to this end the water container was chosen to be reflective white.  If the summer temps exceeded 85F the plant was placed in a cool cellar window for the duration.  The plant never holds more than 3 leaves at any one time, so no worries if that's all yours has.

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/sundews/Drosera_graminifolia_112903_3
Thanks for the replies everybody. My plant actually has 5 leaves right now.
smile_m_32.gif

dewy

Mine D.graminifolia needs repotting, but I have 2 questions.
1. What soil mix should I use?
2. Can I propagate it via root cuttings or leaf cuttings?
Thanks,
dewy

Wow, FedeAbra, I love the color. Is that the standard form with a lot of light, or some redder variety?

The medium I used was live sphagnum moss run through a food blender. I used a deep 10 inch pot.

I did manage to get leaf cuttings to form plantletts, but the leaf buds did not strike roots. Possibly the use of a rooting hormone would improve on my success.

Good luck with your plant!

Hey guys, thanks for the information about the D. graminfolia. I had it planted in the medium the nursery I bought it from sent it to me (half peat half perlite). It was green but wasn't doing anything. I just happen to have a bag of pure LFS from Chile which I have just potted it up in. I hope this makes the difference!

Back