What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis going down hill

I have this pot of D. Carpensis which is not doing well here in singapore. It's been under a transparent cup with 2 holes drilled to allow ventilation and to keep humidity higher. it's sitting in a bright spot without direct sun. I tray water with distilled water when the medium feels slighly dry.

Then
JSundew2.jpg

Now
Jeffsundew.jpg

my day temp ranges from 28degrees C to 32degrees C, with RH around 80%-90%
My night temp goes between 25degrees C to 27degrees C. RH should be around the same. never really measured.

What am i doing wrong here? Is there anyway to salvage this poor plant or it's already doomed for??

confused.gif

Hi Lobsterx and welcome to TerraForums! did you say Singapore? Oy vey! Better check this topic out, from the Singaporean Moderator, cindy:

Capensis turning yellow

We're all stumped!
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif

Humidity is way too high! You don't need that cup at all. Check out where D. capensis hails from - the Cape region of South Africa. Not a particularly humid place... actually a pretty windy place if I remember my geography. D. capensis just needs a tray of water and lots of light. There may be time left to save yours; get it into drier conditions. Mine are perfectly happy with household conditions of 10-40% RH. I understand from that thread Jim mentioned that capensis isn't such an easy one in Singapore, though, so you may have more challenges ahead! What a mystery... Best luck!
~Joe

PS - Welcome! You've come to the right place for CP advice. Er, at the very least, we're enthusiastic, if not knowledgeable.

I shall remove the cup immdiately.

Cindy did warn me about this particular plant that was suppose to thrive here in singapore, but alast, this plant is WEIRD...:O

Seedjar: Thanks! will tray water from now on.:;):

All the remainding plants in the pot died a few days after i removed the cup. they must have melted.... only one survived and it's puting out more leaves, but they are small.

I need more advice from the gurus here.???

Give it a month or two before throwing in the towel. You should get new plants from the roots of the dead ones in that time. The survivor will likely be low on energy for a while as it recovers. Just leave it be, keep it watered, and if it begins to flower, pinch off the flowers before they open; exhausted sundews sometimes will flower under extreme stress as a last-ditch attempt to reproduce. At the very worst, you might have to get a new capensis - but trust me, they aren't hard to come by, especially on this forum.
Best luck,
~Joe

I am convinced capensis is invincible. Give it a few days; I've noticed mine tend to wax and wane from time to time (it doesn't help that it picked up a case of recurring aphids from my mother's hibiscus)

LobsterX, welcome to the club. Only those living in Singapore will equalify.
laugh.gif
Members are all convinced that the weather here is the bane of capensis' existence! We have even tried growing them from seeds to get 'Singapore-resistant' forms - failed.

Anyway, D. capensis does regenerate from roots for us. But the new plants die soon after and if we manage to salvage a bit of root, we can get new plants again. But the new new plants will die too and soon we are left with no roots to regenerate the plant from.
laugh.gif

Here we go again...another dead D. capensis...another dead capensis...no matter how many pots I buy, they all melted away in a few months. Currently, I have only five seedlings and they have remained in the two-leaf seedling stage for the past three months already without any signs of growth!

Back