What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis, indoors or outdoors?

• Thread starter lee1dew
  • Start date
Hello all,

I've been growing my D. capensis alba for almost a year now. When I got it last July, I grew it outside and it grew like a weed. When winter came around and it started raining frequently, I moved it indoors for a few months. Temps were mid-50's to low 60's, but available light was low and it was growing towards the window (but growing quickly and the leaves were very dewy).

A month or so ago, the temperatures warmed up a bit, so I decided to put it back outside. We had a few cold nights in the low-30's, but the past couple of weeks haven't seen any temperatures below mid-40's. According to D'Amato in The Savage Garden, those temps should be fine (keep between 40-80 degrees F), but the plant does not seem to be doing well. Many of the older leaves have turned black, and some of the new leaves are turning black at the tip before they've fully developed.

So, should the plant go indoors or outdoors?

I've always grown my Cape Sundews indoors and they do very well. I've also heard about many people growing them outdoors with great success. So I say whatever floats your boat! Cape Sundews are very tough plants and can adapt to a wide variety of conditions.

It sounds like your particular plant reacted to a significant change in its conditions and is in a bit of shock. Here is mine, grown on a window sill:

Drosera_capensis.jpg

Putting mine outside resukted in an aphid infestation.

Jimscott:what is the medium yours is growing in? and is that the alba form?

Your D. capensis will prolly return from its roots, though I'd wait a little until it's warmer outside. Around 60 degrees should be ok.

-Ben

hey lee1dew, I am also in the Bay Area. I put my cape sundews outside about 3 weeks ago and mine seem to be okay. Inside my house was always in the upper 60's to 70's, and they seem have not been affected even when it gets to the 40's at night outdoors.

I suggest moving it back inside and grow it like it was when it was doing well. Move it outside when the temperatures are more consistent. It's been raining way too much lately.

My plants... wide, narrow and alba:
3-1.jpg

Once again Statik, I must say how great your Cape Sundews look! Well done
smile.gif

Great looking plants, Statik2426. I hope mine will look even half as good.
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've put the plant back in its old spot near an east-facing window. It doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, however, maybe two hours a day. Should I be worried that it was growing towards the window or does the fact that it was growing quickly and that the leaves were very dewy mean that it was doing well?

They like more of a southern or western exposure. They love the sun. But now it may react for awhile because of the change in conditions. Growing toward the window means it isn't getting enough light.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ April 10 2006,3:52)]Jimscott:what is the medium yours is growing in? and is that the alba form?
That is the 'Alba' or 'Albino' form and the surface has sand, just to fill in some cracks. It was in a mix of sand and peat.

Like jimscott said, a south or west window would be better if you have one available, but I wouldn't worry too much if that east window is the best you can do. My cape sundews grew on an east window last year in my old house. I had no bright south or west windows because they all faced a covered patio. The plants also grew toward the window but were still healthy and flowered.

Back