What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

terranium or pot?

Hi, I'm new to carnivorous plants. I chose sundew to be my first carnivorous plant. I'm wonder would it do better in a small circle terrranium or a pot? thanks

Pot would be best, outside in full sun. Place the pot with your plant in any convenient water tray, and keep it filled with distilled, r/o, rain water. Water from your faucets may harm the plant. And BTW, Welcome!

Welcome to the forums!

Bug's set you right. Under good sunlight you can get some amazing colours to come out of your dews! BTW, you should introduce yourself (either in the general chat or introductions board,) I believe there should be a good number of CPers who live near you who'd like to talk with ya!

Welocme to TerraForums! Depending upon which sundew you want, many can sit at a window sill all year round. Do you know which you would like to have?

if anything i would recomend D. Capensis, D. Adaele(neither of them will die!), or D. Rotundifolia(if you have a cold winter).
good luck! and welcome to the boards!!!
alex

Thanks everyone, i plan on getting a cape sundew( D. capensis) as my first plant. I hear a lot about water trays, can someone explain what it is or a picture of it? ty

A "water tray" is simply a tray or container that the pot sits in. the purpose is to keep the soil moist. Your should plant your D. capensis in a pot filled with sphagnum peat or some other appropraite mix. Keep it moist by sitting the pot in a container that will hold an inch or so of distilled (or rain) water.

You can get some good information from
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3000.html

"water tray" is code for "Heyy, this lidless tupperware is only five cents, I could keep some plants in it!!"

Welcome to the forums, and I hope your D.capensis goes good for you (as long as you don't live in SE asia it really shouldn't be a problem)

And if you ARE going the outdoor route, as Bugweed suggested, make sure to ease the plant into full sun (unless it's already growing in full sun) as if it has been under lights, the intensity of the actual sun can be a bit much and might cause you to have a bit of a stress problem (you AND the plant, I know how the first specimen is, I just got a Cephalotus recently that made me feel like a brand newbie all over again)

But if there's any problem, we'll be here- I will respond, and Bugweed will correct me , that's how we roll
biggrin.gif

Outside is the way to go with most Drosera species, but as has been mentioned plants transferred from indoors to outdoors need to "tan" slowly or they will sunburn quickly, so gradually increasing the length of stay outdoors is needed. This is not an issue with seed sown directly in pots outdoors. Welcome to the Forum and best of luck with your plants!

Back