What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show me your D. Brevifolia

glider14

Always a newbie
Ok i got some D. brevifolia from a friend the other day. they were wild collected(on his property) and i suspect they are Brevifolia. could you show me yours for a comparison. i will try to get a good pic of mine today or tomarrow.
thanks
alex

You can collect plants of some ones property?

Cheers

Nepenthes_ak: no i live in KY he lives in NC. he collected some for me on his land.
thanks
alex

Glider, do yourself a favor and google the words drosera photos. The topmost one is BobZ's drosera photo site. An excellent pic of the brevifolia bud with hairs and mucilage is shown, as well as a myriad of other brev pics with great variability in leaf and form. FLOWERS are the key!!

Here are mine, but they're adjusting to new lights and are a little green at the moment.

Drosera%20Brevifolia%204.15.06.jpg

elandolf: those look exactly like mine! except for them being WAY more red, the shapes of the leaves-SAME, how far the tentacles go down on the petiole-SAME, the length of the petioles-SAME!!! hooray! we can finally put this post to rest
smile.gif

alex

I really hate bursting bubbles, but the flower stalk in that picture is smooth, hairless, and mucilage free. Glider, get off your BUTT!!! LOOK at the drosera photos posted in google from BobZ and observe that flower stalk!!! Hairy, with mucilage is what you will see. You are unreasonably sticking a label on a plant because it looks similar?? BAD DEAL!!!!! The flower stalk says it all to me. NOT hairy!! NOT mucilage covered! DO NOT AVOID the proper description of d. brevifolia, part of which is the glandular hairs on the flowering scape, with mucilage. A hairless stalk means NO d. brevifolia. No research means Glider will learn nothing. Don't shortchange yourself, Glider. Use your most important asset in this hobby! PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!
BTW! Sheila (Indymental) has posted the link to the site in this thread. GO LOOK, GLIDER!!! Use your eyes and observe every pic. Leaf form is variable, but the flower stalk NEVER changes!!!!!!

Back