What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil mixture for capes?

I'm not sure what's the best soil mixture for Drosera capensis...peat/sand, peat/perlite, or something entirely different?

Also, I have a problem with distilled water...exactly how often will I need to buy it?

D. capensis will grow in anything. Peat/sand, peat/perlite, peat, LFS, it doesn't really matter. A 50/50 peat sand mix would be your best bet though.

And as for the water, just buy more whenever you need more.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

Soil media is one of those things that if you ask 5 people, you get 4 that are variations of one another and 1 that seems off the wall - and yet all will work. Here's my opinion: Get some pool filter sand ($8) and a bag of Canadian peat ($5) - not Scott's brand - from Home Depot or Lowes. Use a collander to rinse the peat and a bucket to rinse the sand. Put it together in a pot and add plant. Any grocery store or Walmart should have the distilled water (<$1/gallon). If you fill the container the pot is in (open tray method) to an inch and add water when less than half an inch. it should last you a few weeks.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply, both of you!

My mom is making this really hard for me...when I told her I'd have to buy some distilled water every once in a while, she got annoyed and kept asking, "Why can't you use tap water? Or the water from the filter, it's clean too!" It seems that she seems more okay with impulse buys, rather than one of my "obsessions". If I saw a sundew at Home Depot, for instance, she'd be perfectly fine with letting me buy it and watch it die within a few days. But, if I try to be responsible and take care of it accordingly, she gets annoyed and thinks I'm wasting time, or something like that.  
smile_l_32.gif

Edit: Do I need to use distilled water to clean the sand and peat?

Yeah, you should use distilled water for the washing.

-Ben

Or you can use rain water if you have some available.
dewy

Ok...thanks.

By the way, Jim, I asked my mom about the sundew thing again...and when I told her it was free, she said, "Oh, well if it's free, bring it home then, I don't care."
smile_l_32.gif
Asian parents.

I personally use a 50:50 peat:perlite mix for my cape sundew. I have had my one plant have as many as 3 flower stalks at the same time.
dewy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ April 26 2006,6:35)]I personally use a 50:50 peat:perlite mix for my cape sundew. I have had my one plant have as many as 3 flower stalks at the same time.
dewy
Whats your secret to only getting 3? Lol last year I had at least 5 stalks at one time, and every single one of them was split into 2 or 3 actual flower pod stalks. I collected enough seed from that one plant to send at least 1000 seeds to every single person I traded with last year (weather they wanted them or not hahaha)

50/50 sand/peat is what I use, but I have volunteers in every pot within shouting distance of that plant, no matter what the soil is.

"Why can't you use tap water? Or the water from the filter, it's clean too!"
Just because the filter water tastes better to us, does not mean its "clean". Sorta like just wiping the dinner dishes with a dry paper towel... it may make them look clean, but would you wanna eat off them the next time? Reverse osmosis water is available from vending machines at most shopping centers. Generally it costs about a quarter-35 cents a gallon. Personally I would stay away from the "distilled" water from inside the store.. the R/O water is just as good for 1/2 the cost.

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ April 26 2006,10:46)]Whats your secret to only getting 3?  Lol last year I had at least 5 stalks at one time, and every single one of them was split into 2 or 3 actual flower pod stalks. I collected enough seed from that one plant to send at least 1000 seeds to every single person I traded with last year (weather they wanted them or not hahaha)
My secret? I cut the others flower stalks off so I wouldn't have so many seedlings everywhere
smile_m_32.gif

mines never flower
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif
smile_h_32.gif
, maybe they still small....

How long have you had it, or them? Maybe you don't have the right conditions for them...enough lighting? Distilled or RO water?

When you say water from the filter, is that referring to RO water (Reverse Osmosis)? Rain, RO, distilled are acceptable. See what I mean about asking a few simple questions?

We have a water filter hooked onto our tap water...I did an experiment about a year ago and boiled a pot full of water down until there wasn't any left (my mom got really mad--a waste of gas!) and there was tons of crap left at the bottom of the pan. It didn't deter me from still drinking the water, but I definately will not be using it for CPs.

Edit: Is playground sand okay, or horribly off-limits? I read about it on a caresheet somewhere...

I use play sand, works like a charm. Ya just have to wash it off well enough.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VFT_lover123 @ April 27 2006,6:06)]and there was tons of crap left at the bottom of the pan.
That's what will be left in your soil after the water evaporates. It may be clean enough for human consumption (according to the "experts" who determine such things), but I wouldn't trust it with my plants.

Steve

Playground sand is one of those items that gets mixed reviews whenever it gets debated. In my opinion, as long as you rinse it well, it should be safe. Rinsing with distilled water is the best, but also costly. I think you can get by with rinsing in tap water until clean and then make the last rinse with distilled water. Can you ask if the filter unit is RO (reverse osmosis)?

It probably isn't, but I'll ask anyway. This is exciting...I've been wanting a CP for more than a year!

Do deer eat sundews? We have a whole family of deer living in the woods next to our house, and if they won't eat them, I could have a cape sundew outside for the summer on our very sunny porch.

Back