What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seperating D.adelae

• Thread starter dewy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    repot
I have this 4 inch pot of D.adelae that I need to repot. The question is, how do I seperate and repot the plants?
plants_005.sized.jpg

As you can see, their are over 20 plants crammed in there. The roots are wrapped completely aroung the inside of the pot, which will make repotting very difficult. Any tips on how to do it without damaging my plant?
Thanks,
dewy

It's a very strong plant. I would say be as carefull as you can... but if you do end up breaking off some root or leaves, don't worry too much. This plant easily propagates from both leaves and roots. So you'll probably end up with even more than you currently have there
smile_m_32.gif
lol Good looking pot by the way!
Andrew

Hi Dewy,

From my experience with D. adelae, any transplanting of any kind no matter how careful results in a stunned plant(s) that take a LONG time to recover. This goes for D. proliera as well.

adnedarn, it sounds like you've had good success with this. I kind of wish my D. adelae was less picky.

-Homer

I would get a large, plastic container and fill it with distilled water. Then would place the whole clan in the water and snip with a pair of scissors. Then repot as you wish. Lastly, I would keep each new pot well-hydrated for a few days, treating them all as if they were in shock / just shipped to you.

Heh, I took a different route with mine. I chopped off all the leaves then dunked the whole root ball in a bucket of water and shook all the roots apart. Then I took out the strands of root and laid them on peat. Then I covered them with a little more peat in varius pots, and watered. Each root strand will fire up about 3-4 plants in each pot. I now have a small forest
smile.gif

It's kinda good and bad because the pots are not as crowded but I have about 3 times as many Adelae now. Maybe next time I will do what Jim said.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ April 29 2006,12:26)]This goes for D. proliera as well.
-Homer
.....I have this plant, although it barely grows... I woudln't/don't attempt to do anything with that bad boy... lol

Back