What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower stalks in a terrarium?

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with burnt flower stalks on their sundews when grown in a terrarium. I have the plants about 2-3 inches away from a glass cover on top of which 23 watt CF lights sit. The flower stalks are obviously much taller and are getting too close to the light that they get burnt from the heat. What do you guys do?

Should I just move the plants further away from the lights, but risk loss of coloring? This might prove useless anyway since the stalks can get to 8 inches tall easily and still reach the glass cover top.

Actually, I'm trying to eventually grow them coverless on a windowsill so I wouldn't have to worry about terrarium limitations, but the one spatulata so far that I have on the windowsill isn't as dewy as its terrarium counterparts.

Thanks.

Johnny

Or, move them down and add another light. Use something like a reptile light fixture, where there are two spaces for lightbulbs.

-Ben

Remove the cover. Find another way to keep the light in place, then let the flower stalks grow up past the light.

My Neps and the sundew flowers are growing up above the terrarium. I have 2 grolite GE bulbs on the sides. I had used a hood on top last year but took it off for more circulation.

Maybe you raise the bulb a little higher?

The only thing the sundews are not making dew . Possibly because of the flowers. The lights are pretty close so that can't be it.
I might cut off the flowers after I take a pic of one flowering. I would rather have them dew.

I don't think your plants are going to loose their color if you move them away from the lights long enough to collect seed from them. Than again I'm still a newbie. I do know with Orchids I bring plants in from the GH when they are in flower, and leave them inside till they finish. Sometimes that can be months, then I move them back out to the GH where they have no problems going back into the higher light. And still have their yellowish color to the leaves.

Meh, I can't stop the spatulatas from growing stalks. I have like 20 of them in a single pot. Problem is, none of them are forming seed and the parent plants look pretty crappy. No dew.

I'll post a picture up later. When I got the plant initially, it was big and dewy, but now it's made so many tiny clumps and so many flower stalks. I rather have one large plant with dew than 5 small ones with 20 stalks and no dew.

will D. Adaele(sorry to hijack) flower stalks get very big? i finally got one on mine and its about ~3in tall right now. no blooms yet but im sure they will come soon.
Alex

I think there's not enough light there for typical growth, which includes dew production. You need to remove the cover, and provide additional light. Drosera are a high light species and dew production is related to good lighting. The air circulation should help as well. Over time the plants will adjust and be happier, and they will reward you with color and dew.

Back