What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Adelae Self Polination

if it possible to self polinate an adelae, then what would be the best way to go about doing so ?

It is possible, but a rare event. I think it would take 2 different clones. I have gotten seed from my plants before in the past, but how or why I can't say. To hand pollinate, take a fine brush or toothpick and make like a bee in the opened flower and note which scape you did it to, then wait and see.

I am doing just that right now with D. adelae and D. paradoxa - different clones and a fine paintbrush. Too early to know if I am having success.

Well if I understand what they are saying.

Most likely not, but there is a slight chance. You need 2 geneticaly different plants to have a better chance at it working.

Fortunately, while trying to produce viable seed is a challenge, both paradoxa and adelae propogate vegetatively (plantlets) with ease.

I acually have what are supposed to be 2 different forms of D. paradoxa putting up scapes right now, one is alittle ahead of the other, but I am hoping some of the flowers overlap, and I'm in town when it happens.. Getting close to being done with school and being out of town for work for weeks at a time.

My plants are all going to be living in a swamp for the summer, hope they like the water...

Are they outside, as in will the potentially have opportunity for insects to do the pollinating? I just put my paradoxa outside to see if the insects will help me out.

to cold here yet.. hell we had snow mixed rain last night. high of about 41/42 today

And you're in Ohio, as opposed to where I am, in the Buffalo area?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ah, as in Dallas vs. Green Bay, January 1968, "Icebowl Game".

Back