What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Scorpoides

• Thread starter Mannex17
  • Start date
scorp11ma.jpg

It's been a few long months, and now my scorpoides can devour protozoa! Should I give them a spray with Cleary 3336WP for good measure, or would that be too harsh?

Never tried the stuff so I have no opinion. I do notice your mix seems very rich in peat. I find the pygmy species tend to do better in say 70/30 sand peat and in pots deep enough so the surface of the mix is just moist and never wet, encouraging deeper root growth. They want moisture, but seem happier when they find it deeper down, and the drier surface discourages the type of fungal problems evident in your culture.

I don't really get any fungus, but I do get a lot of algea slime crap. Would anything easily kill this other than just scraping it off?

Read the post on rain I wrote in the Gen. Disc. forum. I dont know if this will help since your baby is so small and might be overwhelmed by rain. Algae and scum are the result of an unclean mix, and with most droserae things need to be kept clean for the best results. I think most growers are unaware of how "dirty" their peat is used straight from the bale.

There is no product that will remove the scum, and repotting pygmy species (which is often the best cure for other droserae) is never a good idea. You could remove some of the scum, but don't dig to close to the plant to do so. Then you can try flushing the pot with pure water daily (or as often as possible) with a gentle syringing. Add some silica sand rich mix as a topdressing and hope! Or possibly better yet, some ground up sphagum moss. Sometimes this works. Try to keep your moss (if you use this) moist but not wet.

With Drosera species, it's best to start clean and stay clean with Drosera cultivation, especially the pygmys which often resent repotting. Repotting plants in gunky medium is always in order, and most Drosera species take that with no problem....but the pygs are another story.

Fortunately, the gemmae season should bring you another chance, should the worst happen and you lose your plant. I'm rooting for you and your plant!

I don't think any of it poses a danger.  Just in case though, I'm setting the pot outside. We're supposed to get a week's worth of constant rain, and it'll be great for it, according to your rain topic.

WEll be careful, it's a tiny little plant....don't let the rain beat up on it....maybe a shot glass covering it but the mix gets rinsed would work?

A shot glass? Just to give you a scale, the plant is actually about a centimeter in height. Maybe a thimble, if I can find one.

Back