What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. 'Ivan's Paddle'

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
...is there anything special I should know about it, like dormancy, flowering, viable seeds, vegetative propogation,...?

Sorry, I forgot to get back to you on that. D. 'Ivan's Paddle' is a D. x obovata tetraploid created by Ivan Snyder. The parentage is [rotundifolia CA tetraploid x anglica (CAxHI)]. Treat it like a tropical form of D. rotundifolia or anglica; it won't need dormancy. Flowers are white and also sterile. Here's a pic of mine:

5406027small1ce.jpg

Peter

Peter, do you propogate by leaf cuttings or will it send shoots of plantlets? Would a S facing window sill be appropriate? Is it fine as an open tray plant?

>Peter, do you propogate by leaf cuttings or will it send shoots of plantlets?

I propagate by both cuttings and offsets. As you can see in the picture, the plant readily makes offsets. In my experience it does not produce shoots the way D. adelae or D. prolifera do.

>Would a S facing window sill be appropriate? Is it fine as an
>open tray plant?

I grew in a tray under lights for a while, but since I put it outside in a terrarium its really taken off. Again it doesn't need dormancy, but I'm not sure what the lower limit is temperature-wise. I'd do an experiment but it doesn't get cold enough in southern CA
smile_n_32.gif

Peter

Hi--we have both D. rotundifolia and D. anglica here in southcentral Alaska (around Anchorage) coexisting in the same bogs--so D. x obovata are possible here. I haven't found any D. x obovata yet, but it's not for lack of trying--that said, winter temps in Southcentral here can range down to -10F to -20F for short periods at times. How's that for a lower limit temp-wise?

Mike

That's a very cool sundew. I've always wanted a D. rotundifolia - type plant that wouldn't need a dormancy.

Mike, my guess is that with your winter temps this plant would probably form a winter bud, just like the D. rotundifolia "evergrow" does in cold enough conditions. What makes it tropical is that it doesn't automatically form winter buds when it decides the growing season is over. I could get you a plant in maybe a month or two if you want to experiment.

LG, I heartily agree. The north american dews are all great plants. I know of "tropical" forms of rotundifolia, anglica, and intermedia.

Peter

I've had plants that both formed and did not form a winter bud from the same seed batch. I think Mr. Ivan Snide r did too, and he culled the dormant type. I doubt the plant would survive artic conditions, even with hibernacula. Mine didn't and we hit those lows here in Oswego. Keep looking for that D. x obovata!

I have another spot in mind, then. The south facing stairway window sill remains between the 50's and 60's. Whaddya think?

Winter buds--would that be the same thing as hibernacula? I haven't seen those yet. I'm in the process of buying a small piece of property with a cabin that I know has some D. rotundifolia...I've probably missed them this season...but there's always next time.

A few days ago I got a lead on a new (to me) bog "...that's loaded with all kinds of those sundews" that'll give me some new hunting grounds for x obovata--the hunt is on!

Peter--that'd be great! Science in action...

Hibernacula is the botanical term for "winter buds"

Jimscott I think the plants would do well under those conditions. My suggestion is that if you get winter buds from any of your plants, you cull them and not pass them on as "Ivan's Paddle", and the same would be true for Ivan's D. rotundifolia "Evergrow" which is also going about, (which btw is not a registered cultivar name unless someone decides to publish it as should be done and Mr. Snider won't).

Hybrids often express qualities of both parents at times, and even if the plant is not a cultivar, it is treated as such by the community, so the standard form which commonly held as "a non-dormant form of D. anglica" should apply here as well and dormant buds would be out.

Peter, those are very beautifully grown examples of Ivan's Paddle!

Understood... and assuming I get new plants via vegetative propogation, those would be appropriate for giving away as Ivan's Paddle?

Sure, as lonf as they are tropical in habit and not temperate. It's a moot point since Ivan resists publication, but a good idea is a good idea even if not widely embraced. Ivan has repeatedly stated this is a tropical form. I believe leaf cuttings should preserve the cultivar quality, but it isn't always so. For example, I have had offsets of D. dialatopetiolaris on the SAME plant looking completely different. I don't know how these things work, but there is no sense in muddying the water by sending out a supposed tropical form that forms temperate hibernacula. Sedd is another issue and can express either qualities of the parents. They are very beautiful Drosera.

One thing that confuses me, and I'm sure that I am missing a small, yet imortant fact, is that with plants like D. adelae & paradoxa, where you can't pollinate two fowers from the same plant to produce seed, yet can do so with two flowers from different clones. Aren't the genotypes the same, since they are clones?

Back