What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. venusta grown outdoors

I put a D. venusta outdoors a few years ago, and it seemed to pretty much hate it. It stays out year-round, and in the winter it always struggles. I thought it died the first year, actually, but it managed to flower first and spread some seed around. Of the surviving seedlings, cold-weather tolerance has greatly increased. Here is what it looks like today (I haven't changed the peat, as the excessive grasses and weeds show):

9ce661b9.jpg

As long as I was out there, I figured I'd snap a pic of my awakening D. dichotoma "giant"
eb6fb8a8.jpg

Capslock

Wow... those leaves are bigger than the chairs!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Huge leaves, no people, empty chairs...it's all starting to make sense...
smile_m_32.gif

Nice plants, and yes they seem different from my late D. "coccicaulis". Maybe Christen is right and Robert Gibson was wrong. He insisted my "coccicaulis" was D. venusta. I thought I had D. venusta until a hybrid D. dielsiana looked identical. WHat a problematical species, but glad to see it is doing well for you. SHould you ever have a seed or two to spare I would like to look at the testa since I can't shake my addiction to Drosera taxonomy. I'd be curious to see a macro of the flowers as well if it is ever possible.

Nothing survives ann Oswego winter that isn't native oo the area. You are lucky to have such great conditions!

One of those leaves must still be hungry.  Now it's going after that patio umbrella.  Could this be . . . the Drosera that ate San Francisco?

Tamlin, you can always have any plant in my collection. It's flowering, so when it's ready, I'll send a bunch of seed out your way. I'll also take some pics if I can catch an open flower.

Capslock

PS: I wondered where my neighbors went. Haven't seen them for weeks...

Back