What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. falconeri double traps

Since it's now the time of year when people usually start to post photos of VFTs that have formed double traps, some of my plants wanted to join in...

Here's a lighter-colored D. falconeri showing a just-emerging double-trap at approximately the top of the photo:
DfalconeriTWblondedoubletrap051706R.jpg

Since I just noticed the leaf formation on this plant, I looked over my other plants and found another double trap fully formed on a darker red D. falconeri (visible @ approx. 8 oclock in the photo):
DfalconeriTWreddoubletrap051706RS.jpg

Sidenote - the lighter colored plant is growing under much brighter lighting than the red plant - and they are clones from the same parent afaik....

Sidenote II - for seed production - I'm looking for growers interested in swapping D. falconeri clones - please contact me....

48 looks and no comments? Such incredible beauty!

We're all turning into a bunch of looky-loo's. Beautiful plants, Ron! D. falconeri is one of those drosera I drool over but won't attempt to grow as can't provide the best conditions for it. I'll just have to grow it vicariously through those of you who post pics of your plants
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
!

Cool. I need to check up on my D. falconeri as well. This "double trap" phenomenon is something I need to look for.

Nice photos!
smile.gif

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]48 looks and no comments? Such incredible beauty!

When I think TF, I don't generally think good post/view ratios. I've noticed it for a long time and have been thinking about why it may be...

Anyhoo, that's quite a plant! If the double traps are unique to the clones you have, and not the species as a whole, why not self them and see if it persists in the offspring?

Gorgeous plants, both of them. And unfortunately so rare. The double traps are interesting. So is the color difference between plants.

Well grown Ron.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ May 21 2006,5:45)]Anyhoo, that's quite a plant! If the double traps are unique to the clones you have, and not the species as a whole, why not self them and see if it persists in the offspring?
So far, all of the VFT double traps have been caused by environmental factors (typically some disturbance during their development) and not some genetic trait - afaik.

I suspect the same is true here. The fact that both plants have this may be more due to a similarly-timed repotting than any genetic factor. If it is genetic, my primary hope would be to pull the leaves and try to propagate them.

These plants are normally not self-fertile (few semi-random exceptions aside) nor self-pollinating - so selfing them is not an option. Since they are both clones from the same parent, crossing the plants is probably not an option either....

Thanks for all of the positive comments. Although the plants have their challenges in growing, they are also tremendously rewarding when in a good mood...
456.gif

Hey, I thought I replied to this post. Must be them moderators again out to get me. Well, I drooled and raved I did over this remarkably well grown beauty> It is perhaps my favorite Drosera species ever, and I LOVED my plant, god rest it's soul.

The comments do bring up an interesting thought regarding the self sterile nature of the petiolaris plants in cultivation (in habitat, they seed within their respective populations). It would be good if TC'ers tagged their clones someway so that growers might differentiate between various clones. New material should be introduced to TC, and not just the same TC'd batch of material which I understand is easy to do once it has been introduced. It'll probably never happen though.

On the other hand, crossing the different petiolaris members is fun and rewarding producing much seed!

It's great seeing these plants being grown, and the photo's never get stale, so kee em coming!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
On the other hand, crossing the different petiolaris members is fun and rewarding producing much seed!

I certainly hope so, as I spent much time and tedious cross-pollination record keeping on this matter. This past weekend I cut the ends of the inflorescence, so hopefully, energy will now be spent on getting some viable seed.

-Homer

Back