What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.regia

My D.regia has been growing kinda weird since I received it on April 28,2006. The new leaves unravel like they are supposed to, but the tentacles don't "unfold" like they should. Then, after about 2 weeks the leaf begins to turn black. It is about 6 inches from my grow light, temps around 80-85F during the day, and humidity around 50-60%. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?
dewy

They take a little time adjusting to new environments. So I'd say within another week or so they should be OK. As long as it's producing new growth I wouldn't worry.

In my experience with them, they love to be flooded. I constantly have my water dish full. I'm growing mine in LFS ripped up with Perlite.

ive been told unless you have the "Big Easy" cutivar this species can be frustrating for most. mine has been doing what our describing for 8 months now. actually looks quite healthy but my venusta is bigger
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 22 2006,5:59)]ive been told unless you have the "Big Easy" cutivar this species can be frustrating for most. mine has been doing what our describing for 8 months now. actually looks quite healthy but my venusta is bigger
confused.gif
Same here. My D. regias are just very picky plants. The ends of their leaves go black about a week after unfolding and only one of my two plants seems to be getting any bigger.

I should try the flooding thing though, seeing as I usually let the tray dry out between waterings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ May 22 2006,8:24)]They take a little time adjusting to new environments.  So I'd say within another week or so they should be OK.  As long as it's producing new growth I wouldn't worry.

In my experience with them, they love to be flooded.  I constantly have my water dish full.  I'm growing mine in LFS ripped up with Perlite.
How large a pot is it in and how much water is it standing in?
Mine is in a 4 inch pot and has 2 inch long leaves.
Thanks,
dewy

6inch pot. Stands in usually 3-4 inches of water.

I have had no problems with any clone of D. regia, including 'Big Easy'. I grow my plants in an 8-inch plastic pot in my unheated greenhouse. However, the bigger the pot, the better. The soil I now use is a well drained mix of peat and perlite. I water from the top and let the water drain out. The pots do not sit in a water tray. I think it grows best in a mild climate with some cool night temps.

For some photos and discussion, see
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/D_regia.html
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/D_regiaBigEasy.html
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/pubs/CPN80.pdf

Hi Dewy,

You might want to check if the plant was previously grown in a high humidity environment or if it was recently removed from tissue culture. In both cases, the plant would need to be adjusted to lower humidity(50%).
D.regia grows much better for me outdoors in CA. They appreciate a drop in temperature at night. I haven't found the Big Easy cultivar to be much different or easier to grow than my other clones of regia from Baineskloof.

Back