What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowes cube!

glider14

Always a newbie
Yay for lowe's!! i got a HUGE D. Adaele in one of those cubes. I was going to take the top off but then i realized this sudden drop in humidity could make it look just terrible! so how can i acclimate it to a window sill without it looking terrible? same thing with my D. Capensis. i want them to be dewy and redden up but i need help. any suggestions?
alex

The best way to acclimate plants that are in those cubes is to open it up very slowly over a period of time.  Try opening it a little and sticking something thin, like a peice of mulch or a pen cap, between the lid and the base.  Leave it like that for a few days and then then try opening a little more.  You just have to do it slowly.
Good luck.
-Nick

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ May 30 2006,1:47)]Yay for lowe's!! i got a HUGE D. Adaele in one of those cubes. I was going to take the top off but then i realized this sudden drop in humidity could make it look just terrible! so how can i acclimate it to a window sill without it looking terrible? same thing with my D. Capensis. i want them to be dewy and redden up but i need help. any suggestions?
alex
So you got a capensis from lowes too?

I should go to lowes, all the plants ive gotten from those places die too easily(expt vft)
Try geting a piece of plastic rap and replace the top with a thin sheet. Poke one hole every day with a pencil.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nickz123 @ May 30 2006,2:49)]The best way to acclimate plants that are in those cubes is to open it up very slowly over a period of time. Try opening it a little and sticking something thin, like a peice of mulch or a pen cap, between the lid and the base. Leave it like that for a few days and then then try opening a little more. You just have to do it slowly.
Good luck.
-Nick
That is dead on. Exactly what you should do.

When I buy these plants, I open the lid but I leave it on and "turn" the lid just a little so it is just barly open. Every day I "turn" the lid a little more to help aclimation.

If you just take off the lid completly the plant will look dead in just a few minuets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ May 30 2006,8:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nickz123 @ May 30 2006,2:49)]The best way to acclimate plants that are in those cubes is to open it up very slowly over a period of time. Try opening it a little and sticking something thin, like a peice of mulch or a pen cap, between the lid and the base. Leave it like that for a few days and then then try opening a little more. You just have to do it slowly.
Good luck.
-Nick
That is dead on. Exactly what you should do.

When I buy these plants, I open the lid but I leave it on and "turn" the lid just a little so it is just barly open. Every day I "turn" the lid a little more to help aclimation.

If you just take off the lid completly the plant will look dead in just a few minuets.
ah how true.

no i didnt get capensis from lowe's but it has been in a cube for a long time. thanks you all!
alex

Blehhh..  if you want to drag out the acclimation process for days or weeks..  the above mentioned methods are the way to go. In my experience, D. adelae is about as bomb-proof as you can get.  Yank the top off, dig it out, and plant it in a 4 inch pot in an open tray. If you break any roots in the process, cut them into about 1 inch pieces and pot them up too.

D. adelae prefers artificial light so under fluorescents is what I recommend, but if you have a window that does not get any direct sunlight, that should work fine.

Keep it watered, but not severely wet, and in a few months you will have a pot so crammed full of plants that you won't know what to do with them.

Good luck,
Steve

I guess it works different depending on what kind of environment you live in. I tried the yanking off top and letting the plant just do its thing in open tray by a East windowsill. Room humidity was around 50%. It stopped dewing after 2 weeks and now the mother plant is as dried up as it can be. It started sprouting plantlets near its base after I replaced the humidity dome. A similar plant I have at home never had its dome removed and it's still dewing quite nicely and is also sprouting plantlets.

In my experience, D. adelae from Lowes isn't bomb-proof and tends to go into shock quite easily. D. capensis is a different matter.

I think a lot has to do with just how negelcted (or not) the plant chosen is. Actually, I'm 2 for 2 with the Lowes cube D. adelae. The last one, which is also current, was a 3 in 1 in which only the Cobra Lily was visible before purchase. So I asked and received a discount. Both the adelae and VFT were buried and white, beneath the soil. I repotted and put them both at a window sill. Eventually, I put them both outside and the adeale came down with aphids. I drowned the aphids and the plant looked like a "drowned rat" for a few weeks. That plant has been flowering for the past several weeks - and so is one of its plantlets. And yes, they do seem to die back at some point. My first one did that. I'm waiting for the current one to do so. I keep them indoors, now, at a SE will, and water when the level is almost nothing, which is evry couple weeks or so.

the plant i picked was the biggest and the dewiest plant there was! i also got what i think is S. minor but the lable said Rubra. i can definatly tell this is Minor. anyways i took the top off that and it looked dead. now there is cup over it. it is slowly acclimating to the sun and im putting holes in the top so i can get it to be used to lower humidity(which i think was the problem in the first place).
Jim:they had cobra lilies there but they were brown...could they possibly come back to life?
alex

I always preach that as long as there is green, there is life. But it may be a lost cause. All ya can do is try. Is there any green at all?

I also bought a cobra from Lowes but not exactly sure how to grow it.First I had it in the window with not cover.Didn't seem to do well so I put a cover over it but still the same.It seems that the plant is determined to die.Other then that all my lowes plants have done well(adelae and vft).Not to mention I bought the last 3-4 adelaes for cheap since they had em so long.I think it was $6 for 4 of them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheDuke @ May 31 2006,8:48)]I also bought a cobra from Lowes but not exactly sure how to grow it.First I had it in the window with not cover.Didn't seem to do well so I put a cover over it but still the same.It seems that the plant is determined to die....
Sounds like it is in shock caused by a rapid drop in humidity when you removed the cover combined with an abrupt increase in light when you place it in the window. Garden Center plants often need a little more TLC when you first get them, because the GC has usually put them in an area with low light levels and watered with tap water if they watered them at all. I gradually adapt my plants by putting them in bright indirect light and gradually opening the cover over the period of a couple weeks until I can remove the cover. I do basically the same thing with direct sunlight. Gradually increase the amount they are getting over a period of time, until they can handle full direct sun.

To supplement what BCK said, I leave the cover on for a couple days and away from direct light. Then I remove the cover during the day and cover by night for another couple days, gradually moving the plant closer to the window, or at least from am east window to a south one. The main thing is that in getting from point A->E, one should B, C, & K.... I mean D.

I got 2 Sundews from my local Lowes and just removed the tops with no problems at all. I even repotted them and they're doing GREAT! One is even sending up a flower stalk right now!

Sundews are GREAT! Mine draw little nats like crazy!

Tom

Back