What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

self-pollination

Hi,

This might sound like basic Bio 101, but when people mention that a lot of sundews can self-pollinate, does that still require human intervention to apply the pollen to the stigma?  Or will pollen somehow "magically" find itself there via wind, etc?

I have a two pots of spatulatas that have 8 to 10 stalks each and although the flowers are pretty, the old ones haven't formed seed pods yet and it's been a couple of months now.  I ask because I haven't pollinated them myself and just assumed it would invariably do it itself.
Thanks!

Johnny

They do NOT need human intervention at all. And spatulatas are the guppy of the CP world... that and capensis.
laugh.gif

^nice, thanks Jim.

Oh and by the way, all your dews that you sent me are doing great--getting larger and very dewy! I will probably have to separate them soon; however, since I put them all in one container in the beginning. Thanks again.

Most Drosera self pollinate when the flowers close from wilting, pushing the anthers onto the stigma.

You're very welcome!
smile.gif

Back