What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum seeds

Hello:::
I have some old Drosophyllum seeds, in fact they're like a year old. I'm wondering if they will still germinate, and if so, how I should go about this?

I know the basic techniques with the sandpaper and stuff in books, but does anyone have any personal techniques

OH yea. and why do Drosophyllum always die all of a sudden?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ June 14 2006,8:26)]Hello:::
I have some old Drosophyllum seeds, in fact they're like a year old. I'm wondering if they will still germinate, and if so, how I should go about this?

I know the basic techniques with the sandpaper and stuff in books, but does anyone have any personal techniques

OH yea. and why do Drosophyllum always die all of a sudden?
Hi
I have just sucessfully germinated some 1 and 3 year old seed. Personally I have never sandpapered the seed. I just soak them in water for 48 hours. Them plant one seed in these small "peat pots" you can buy. The mix in the peat pot is peat/sand 50/50. When it germinates I allow it to put on a bit of growth before planting the peat pot into a much larger pot. The mix I use in this is sand/perlite and vermiculite.
I am still quite new to growing Drosophyllum and still losing them! But intend to try out various different locations to see which do best. Good luck!

cheers

bill

sorry for the late reply, i forgot all about this topic
thanks for the tip, i think I'll try that for sure. Oh yea, and what conditions should i keep the seeds in the peat pots?

I've heard they need to be dry, but most seedlings like it very wet and humid.

Take a look at Best CP's Drosophyllum page. They have a lot of good information. Their scarification technique seems to be pretty good in particular; I scarified half of my Drosophyllum seed by cutting the tip of the seed coat with a razorblade, and the scarified batch had about twice as many sprouts/survivors. No giberellic acid required!
Best luck,
~Joe

In my looooong history of growing CP this is my most dismal failure. I have soaked seeds, scarified them with sandpaper, nicked with a razor, nearly troasted them, used 2 forms of Giberillic acid, and smoke water. NADA> I used older seed. NOpe. Got it sent from habitat freshly fallen...nope. OK< let it ripen for the summer in habitat then sow....NOTHING. Zeeeeeero germination. Other growers can take seed stored when King Tut was learning to walk and get 100 percent. Other folk have it come up as a weed and they dont remember sowing it. I never even got the chance to kill the god darn plant. I gave up, this genera HATES ME and it has always been my most wanted CP. Life is sometimes unfair! Good luck with your seed, but I feel my even posting here jepordizes your chances of success.

wow. well anyway, I did finish soaking them, now im going to cut the tips off. what conditions should I keep the seeds in when I put them on soil?

If I remember correctly, I sowed mine into the media I intended to grow them in (sand, ceramic chips, perlite and peat) and kept the pot waterlogged until I started to get sprouts. I put the seed into a 10" ceramic pot and kept it in a tall dish of water. I don't remember covering them - I just kept the soil really wet and left the pot with the rest of my indoor plants. A day or so after the first sprouts, I went to the double-potted method; I took the ceramic pot, stuck some LFS in the drainage holes to get a little wicking action, and then sunk it into a larger plastic pot filled with peat. I raised my plants under lights for the first few weeks, because I germinated the seeds mid-winter. Now that the temperatures are a little more predictable, they're out on my porch.
Peace,
~Joe

I got my seed to germinate on my 3rd seed I tried.
Sanded the seed lightly. Placed in an 8" pot of equal parts perlite, peat moss, and vermiculite. Placed on my south facing windowsill.
I grew this plant this way 1 year inside at this location. Now I place it outside during the summer.
It's two years old now. I know that drosophyllum can branch, and it looks like mine is starting to.

dewypine2.jpg

dewypine1.jpg

There is around 4 - 6 of what looks to be new growth forming. As you can see from the first picture there is already a much smaller leaf growing from the main stem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ June 23 2006,5:33)]wow. well anyway, I did finish soaking them, now im going to cut the tips off. what conditions should I keep the seeds in when I put them on soil?
Uh, the reason for cutting off the tips is to permit the soaking to work better. If you reverse the order, soak before scarifying (cutting the tips off), you may be defeating the purpose for the tip cutting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 22 2006,10:15)]Other folk have it come up as a weed and they dont remember sowing it.
That would be me! This little guy was a stowaway, presumably obtained by accident from elgecko's collection.

AF002601.jpg

It survived the move from PA to WNY and repotting. But after another repotting, to accommodate more root development, after its 9th leaf, it withered and died.
smile_h_32.gif

Back