What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capillaris

Thanks to samo I now have some D. capillaris. I live in atlanta GA and do keep Sarracenia and VFTs outside. I believe that capillaris is from around this part of the world. As such, is it best grown outside, or on a windowsill?

I grow mine outside here year round. The largest and prettiest ones grow in the shadows of the tall Sarracenia. I believe that D. capillaris will do just fine alongside your VFTs and Sars.

Good luck,
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CPsInAtl @ June 16 2006,6:10)]Thanks to samo I now have some D. capillaris. I live in atlanta GA and do keep Sarracenia and VFTs outside. I believe that capillaris is from around this part of the world. As such, is it best grown outside, or on a windowsill?
Same here... does this species form a resting bud? Can it be kept as one would a binata, filiformis, intermedia, and rotundifolia? I was thinking about putting it in a minibog outside.

As I understand the individual plant doesn't live much more than a year.

Well, CRAP!!!! DON'T tell mine!!!!! They have been growing for five, and if they knew they were supposed to be dead, I'd be ticked!!!!!!!!

Oh ok. In Savage Garden it states that they can be annuals

Don't believe everything you read. Plants are as individual as people, and maybe some do die out and drop seed. But if the conditions are right, the winters not too cold, d. capillaris will live as long as it wants to. Books are usually repititious about some "facts". I have rocked the boat by showing the plants don't read. And they will live as long as they are supposed to. In Peter's first edition of "Savage Garden", he stated VFT's only live two or three decades. THAT is also untrue. His later editions have changed since then since he was called on MANY mistakes in the book. Recent editions , however, are more accurate as changes were made. As far as the plants are concerned, give THEM a chance to show you what they can do, and use your instincts, some book learning, and a heckuva lot of questions. You just might be suprised. Many times----pleasantly!

Drosera capillaris from the Southern range is an indefinite grower....perhaps you have this confused witrh the American D. brevifolia which is often (and incorrectly) regarded as an annual species?  

D. capillaris fromthe extreme Northern range do form a sort of resting bud, but it is not as tight as D. rotundifolia or D. intermedia.

Plants from anywhere in the US do not grow well during the winter months, at least, not for me.  It's a time of rest where drier and colder conditions should be provided.  How cold does it get where you are? No form of D. capillaris will survive a long freeze.  The only way to know is to try the experiment, and then report your observations so the rest of us can profit from your success....or failure.  It's often the failures that are the best teachers...like with getting hit with a stick you learn FAST.  NEver be afraid to try and kill a plant for a good cause.

Last year I had 2 populations of them and then we moved to East Aurora and the collection got split between our apartment and the tenant downstairs. Several species were lost over the ensuing weeks and one of them was D. capillaris. I recently obtained two plants, one that came with a flower scape of spent flowers.

I did dormancy for my minibog plants (temperate sundews, Sarracenias, 2 VFT's, and cobra lily) by simply taking their buckets to the attic and placing them at SW window sill, watering sparingly. The attic is cold, but not frigid, drawing some heat from our apartment. Then, as the photoperiod increased, one by one, the plants naturally woke up. Thought I'd lost my D. filiformis (california Sunset & red) and my D. binatas, but they just took a little longer. I DID lose the 2 VFT's, but they weren't doing well while we were still in Reading PA and may have died before the move to the attic.

Anyways, I'm no stranger to experimenting and failing and succeeding.... Are D. capillaris decent minibog plants in our area?

Here's one population picture:

AF003001.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CPsInAtl @ June 16 2006,10:10)]... I live in atlanta GA and do keep Sarracenia and VFTs outside. I believe that capillaris is from around this part of the world. As such, is it best grown outside, or on a windowsill?

You're correct, I believe if you look closely in roadside drainage ditches on rural roads, and beside bodies of water, in your vicinity you will most likely discover acres of this species.

jimscott

The photo you show above, labeled as Drosera capillaris, from your camera angle appears less than 100% certain of its ID. Can you give us an overhead shot too? It would help me greatly if I could get a different clear view of the petioles and stipules.

LOL! This is even a worse picture!

D_capillaris.sized.jpg

Thanks for all the good input guys. I hope mine enjoys the outside living. What I'm hoping for is I get some flowers from it this year to collect seed from. Next spring I am going to start a minibog and would like to use capillaris as ground cover of sorts

Back