What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis liniflora question

Hello,

Over the years I've grown Byblis liniflora and have never been able to get the "dense" growth like in this pic
byblis_liniflora_Copyright_J_Flisek_01.jpg

Instead it looks more like this:: (this in fact is the first one i grew from seed)
byblis.jpg

I'm wondering how exactly this growth is achieved. I don't think its the amount of light, because the plant doesn't have the red tint to it, so what can it be?

Oh, also how fast to the seedlings grow? I just sprouted a couple a couple weeks ago and im afraid I can't remember the rate of growth since I havent grown them for a while. The seedling doesn't seem to be making too many leaves.

:sigh: I'd just written out an entire response when I managed to fudge two keys and kill my window...

Anyway: The difference IS based on the amount of light received. Under conditions with less light, plants will grow taller with more internodal space. Under conditions with more intense light there will be less space between the nodes, and will be shorter and more compact.

The best time to acclimate the plant to higher intensities of light should be directly after germination. You still need to be careful not to burn the seedlings, but this should be the point at which it should be easiest for the plant to adjust to its light setting. Give it a try and see for yourself!

Was grown under strong fluorescent lights...
byblisxmas.jpg

...until they almost reached the bulb and I moved them out under sunlight.
byblischristmasrs.jpg

Here's a plant that get direct sunlight only part of the day.
byblisflowers1rs.jpg

Est is right, it's the light.
smile.gif

I would add humidity to the light equation. I went 23 for 23 with my first batch of seeds and then watched the seedling die, one by one, when the soil dried a bit. When I kept the soil wet, the reamianing ones did better. And last summer I grew another batch in a shallow tray of live, swampy LFS, at a SW window sill. Only a few germinated, but they did well under these conditions... until the hanging basket crashed into the tray.

AF001901.jpg

AF001801.jpg

I am now attempting to germinate another batch, this time in a 6" deep plastic ice tray, again in swampy conditions. After 2 weeks following the pre-soak thing, 2 out of 33 seeds have germinated.

thanks everyone.
i put the two seedlings under higher light/humidity than i used to, and im getting more seeds from icps once i get the new address.
Oh yeah (edit):

exact same question except for d. paradoxa. It gets TONS of light (the petioles are dark red), except it has a "light" growth pattern. I recently moved it to the windowsill. It's in a 2 inch pot (but its a little less than 2 inches) lots of humidity (covered)...bright light, why wont it make the dense growth?

bump for edit.sorry i have so many questions lately

My conditions are different from Jimscott's. My plants grow in LFS/perlite mix and the media dries out inbetween watering. But my surrounding humidity is 60-90% all year round. Some of the plants grow in my nep pots.

My conditions are different, as well. Mine grow in a mix comprised largely of peat, sand, and pumice (is that what it's called? I always forget for some reason...) It dries out between waterings as well, but my humidity levels are pretty horrible. They're grown under a light that doesn't give NEARLY enough light, but they're flowering like mad, so I'm fine with it!

Can you try growing the paradoxa in full sun?

I had them 2 inches from a fluorescent light, they didn't do much...so I put it on the south windowsill and it seems to like it (some leaves that didn't have droplets previously do now)

for the record...the transition was inspired by jimscott's paradoxa.

Good, natural light should do it better. As I understand it, D. paradoxa can take a lot of sunlight. When you need to keep your plants 2 inches from your lightsource, that should tell you something about the strength of light being emitted.

I'm moving them to my windowsill once they're a little bigger

I am not sure how strong your sunlight is but I have had 1/5" seedlings doing well in under hot tropical sun. Another grower left some seeds to germinate in open conditions and forgot about them. He later found several seedlings alive in dry LFS! Byblis liniflora is really tough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ June 23 2006,4:20)]I am not sure how strong your sunlight is but I have had 1/5" seedlings doing well in under hot tropical sun. Another grower left some seeds to germinate in open conditions and forgot about them. He later found several seedlings alive in dry LFS! Byblis liniflora is really tough.
Cool! I intend on trying to germinate some outside as well! I want to see how much sun they can handle. I imagine that they'd be stunning in full sun. Nice and compact and colourful. For now I've got my gangly etiolated ones- not that I don't love them all the same.

so far they love the full sun for 6 hours a day

Back