What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pyro, Jim: how do they look?

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
as of last night this is what they look like:

d8259d7e.jpg

46c06d02.jpg

414e4efe.jpg

Well considering you got it to turn red which I have never been able to do I'd say you are doing great
smile_n_32.gif

that has me concerned actually, what exactly causes these plants to turn red? cause given what i understand of this complex it should not have turned red, its not under enough light. i just placed it under 2 32 watt T8's with a slightly dirty plexi glass lid on the tank to slowly get it settled in and growing and was planning on increasing the light later as i understand they darn near need full sun. it SHOULD NOT be red and compact, i am very confused
confused.gif

BTW the plant is also a good foot from the lights, its no where near the couple of inches away some ppl use

Media, light and heat will turn them red as far as I can tell.

I am sure part of the reason mine don't turn red is because I don't use peat for mine. And I only use 2 18" aquarium tubes so your T8s are giving it more than it has had before and thus it responds in kind.

I would not sweat the reddening. Ron got his red in record time too and they are doing great (chime in if I am wrong Ron.)

A long time ago Greg Bourke in Australia mentioned that the color seemed to come out best when there was something in the mix, but durned if I remember what it was. I used some laterite in my mix and my plant really colored up.

!
Drosera_falconeri_2002.jpg

It might be iron oxide. You could write and ask Greg as he visits here infrequently.

Nice looking plants!

shouldnt be any iron in it unless its impurities in the peat,
the mix is peat, silica sand and fir bark with a lil bit of ground dried LFS,
will keep the iron comment in the back of my mind,
ive got some aquarium soil thats got some iron added,
maybe ill try some leaf cuttings after another month or two

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ June 20 2006,10:07)]I would not sweat the reddening. Ron got his red in record time too and they are doing great (chime in if I am wrong Ron.)
I don't know about record time but mine turned red pretty quickly. This little guy was pretty dramatic w/ his change...
DfalconeriTW2011306RS.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BTW the plant is also a good foot from the lights, its no where near the couple of inches away some ppl use
This is pretty amazing. I don't think I could have my plants that far away from my AH Supply power compacts and still get red...

Another clone I received grew well in a hospital/transition area but stayed green. I moved the pot to an area with higher intensity lighting and all of the leaves turned red in a week.

A D. 'ladle' clone was growing well (but green) in the hospital area and then one day decided to grow red leaves. There was no obvious change in conditions of which I'm aware.

I've never heard that turning red is indicative of something negative with growing conditions. I look at the red color as a good sign as well as being attractive...

actually thats one thing thats always confused me, ppl keep saying they are growing plants such as Drosera and VFT's right next to the lights,
i dont have a Drosera closer than 12 inches from the lights and those are the two pictured here, my spatulata and African dews are all around
16-18 inches away and are compact, healthy and where applicable quite red. my pings are bright pink, compact and blooming alongside of them.
infact the ONLY plant that are next to the lights are Neps with atleast a foot of vine. these plants are in my basement with no extra light from
anywhere. am i the only one not growing them next to lights with good results?

Which species is the non-paradoxa? They're both looking very good. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that the paradoxa has dew. They're supposed to be rough shippers.

D. falconeri..........now thats funny, didnt realize, pictures posted by three different ppl and no mention of a name

got to looking at my picture, that lil bugger is putting out a new leaf every 5 days or so

Back