What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd D. adelae

glider14

Always a newbie
Hey guys!
Aw while ago i got a nice sized D. Adaele<span style='color:red'>[Edit: name correction: D. adelae]</span> from Lowe's. it put up a flower stalk recently and the first flower opened today. when i looked at the opened flower instead of red it was a pale yellowish color. does this happen? does it need more light?
Alex

samething happened to mine... from what I understand there is a white variety. But this is the first one that I have seen. If I'm not mistaken they will turn red if exposed to other red varieties ( maybe I dreamed that).

In The Savage Garden, it says that their is a yellow flower variety and that they will turn red eventually
confused.gif

but is it a full form or just a mutation? i do want the red flowers. somthing i noticed with this one is that it refuses to redden up. my other adaele redden up beautifully and they are in the same environment. is there a D. Adaele 'Alba' ?
Alex

I dont think their is much variation in D. adalea but I wouldnt be suprised. And The orginal sp's of D. adalae did have yellow flowers, but once they came into cultivation after a few years from the wild they turned red, maybe if we put them in them back in the wild they would turn back Yellow?

Yes, there are albino examples of this species, although not common.  I have heard as well of yellow flowered form, but was not aware the flower color could change over time, sounds kind of odd to me too.  Like all droserae there is probably a good deal of variation in this species...we just never get to see it.  I remember when this plant was a rarity here in the U.S.  I know I introduced at least one variation back in the 70's, but it's likely most of what's going around is here is pretty much a clone.  If you have a different colored flower form, you should be happy!

awesome! that just made my day!
Thanks
Alex

Lack of light can also make the flowers much lighter and yellowish, although I doubt this is the case.
dewy

yeah, I really doubt that lack of light could cause the coloration that glider and I are getting. can I offer anyone a cutting?

thanks for the correction for whoever did it. heres a pic of another fully open flower...its deffinatly not a normal D. Adelae flower.
DSC01425.jpg

Alex

yeah, that's exactly like mine.

Back