What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Aliciae in Kansas sun is it sunburned?

kccpguy

Carnivorous Plants KCCPGUY
Some CP suggested I take some of my sundews from the terrarium (they are supposedly tropical ones) and put outdoor in the sun to possible get more dew.
The couple of days ago I took them out for a few hours and then shaded them the rest of the day.
However yesterday I forgot to brings them back after a few more hours. All seemed fine but the D. Aliciae (only) looked reddish, like it was sunburned. Is that natural okay or did it get too much sun ?
any suggestions from those who already have one of these?

Personally, D. aliciae does very well at a window sill and will get red from just doing that.

AF002401.jpg

That's one that I wouldn't put outside. Same with D. adelae, capensis, spatulata, burmanni, or dielsiana.

Red, according to what I have read, is the plant version of sunburn.

yea I have to agree with Jim...although a lot of those sundews are tropicals, the few that I have experimented growing outside all fried. It was easier (albeit more costly) to keep them next to windowsills and supplemented with artificial lights if you don't get enough sun. However, most of my temperate ones do just fine outside, especially if they were seedlings and grew up in that climate.

IME D.aliciae seems to do best indoors under grow lights or on a window sill. The red color is usually normal, depending on how red the plant actually is. It is similar to a sun tan.
dewy

hmm.  when I had it inside, it grew very slowly, and got that weird black spot on the underside of its growing leaves.  I put my aliciae outside in the spring, and it's actually been growing better since I did that.  it rained the entire first week it was out there, and the leaves all turned red and lost their dew.  but ever since it's been quite happy, munching on mosquitoes and growing fast.  today I even found a flower stalk.

Maybe because this is the growing season now and before, in winter, it was just growing slow because of low light.

It's not that you can't put it, or other plants outside. Afterall, they come from the outside. But depending upon where one lives, in terms of light or rain or temperature, and especially critters, determines which plants od best where. I have learned the hard way, (streams, excessive rain, aphids) that some plants do best outside and some do best inside. My D. aliciae is also flowering, but it never spent a day outside. Same with burmanniii, spatulata, adelae, dielsiana, paradoxa, and capensis. It almost takes on a "if it aint broke" concept. I have had most of those afore-mentioned outside 2 years ago and had to get through frying or aphids or unintentional drowning. So I choose to keep them inside because they do well right at a window sill.

Hmm I have some capensis outside in full sun right along side my sarrs. They are going fine and flowering.

^^ Same here, right along with burmanni and adelae. My plants get about 5hrs of full sun every day and they still wont turn red.

Back