What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting sundews from seed

Well, I've finally gotten my order from the ICPS, and now I've got a buttload of drosera species waiting to be planted. Well, actually, only three, with something like five others that need to be stratified -- among others.

Anyway -- normally, for non-CP use, I use disposeable aluminum pans with plastic covers for seed germination -- kind of like the round tins you get chinese food lunch specials in. I'd like to do this for the sundews, too, 'cause they're cheap and conveniently sized, but I was wondering if there'd be any problems with the aluminum, and the possible formation of any salts in an acid environment.

Any input you guys have would be appreciated, thanks.
smile.gif

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I seem to recall hearing that buried aluminum cans eventually (partially) break down and trail a fan of toxic breakdown products downstream.

I have a better suggestion... You can get a bunch of 2" pots (or yogurt containers and fill them with well-rinsed and slightly damp soil media (peat / sand / LFS). Sprinkle seeds on top and cover with Saran wrap. Place at an east window sill and ignore them for 3 weeks. But a magnifying glass and then check to see what germinates.

I've Got my plants sitting in an aluminum tray... could my plants suffer from this? should i get a tupperware tray instead?

2784332_1024.ts1153270589572.jpg

Better safe thansorry? Also you might consider individual trays for the pots, less evaporation, more control of where you put them.

Well, I moved them over to Plastic trays today. I noticed traces of rust already forming in the tray.. which scares me. Theyve been in this tray for less than a day, so i dont think i have a reason to be concerned.. unless anyone else feels otherwise? i put them in plastic and poured fresh water.

Plastic everything is the way to go, metals react to the acidity and the result is salts in the mix over time.

My plants should be okay though right? they weren't in there for any extreme amount of time.. only about 18 hours...

Yes, they should be ok. Relax, hahahaha, we're going to give you a green thumb!

biggrin.gif
What's wrong with that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 19 2006,9:09)]Plastic everything is the way to go, metals react to the acidity and the result is salts in the mix over time.
In the immoratl words of the father-in-law in the movie called, 'The Graduate', "I just have one word for you - plastics".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sev @ July 08 2006,1:47)]Well, I've finally gotten my order from the ICPS, and now I've got a buttload of drosera species waiting to be planted. Well, actually, only three, with something like five others that need to be stratified -- among others.

Anyway -- normally, for non-CP use, I use disposeable aluminum pans with plastic covers for seed germination -- kind of like the round tins you get chinese food lunch specials in. I'd like to do this for the sundews, too, 'cause they're cheap and conveniently sized, but I was wondering if there'd be any problems with the aluminum, and the possible formation of any salts in an acid environment.

Any input you guys have would be appreciated, thanks.
smile.gif
Just out of curiosity, how long exactly did it take you to recieve your order?

Back