What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Enthusiast - Drosera Concerns-General Growing?

JustLikeAPill, is there any items you feel as being necessary for growing CP's that I should pick up? I don't want to come home and find myself cursing that I forgot to pick up some (insert something here) Thanks!

nope not really anything you need except for soil and pots and rubbermaid container to hold waiter.

you can get some Superthrive from the garden center if you want. some people swear by it, some people think it's snake oil. it's only like 10 dollars a bottle so i use it just in case
smile.gif
you can get fungicide if you want since you'll probably use it later. i spray newely planted plants with it just in case.

Pretty much all you need is a pot, water tray, good substrate, clean water and sun.

If your Drosera turns out to be D. adelae, then you will also need a small compact fluorescent light bulb (the twisted up kind that screws in a standard bulb socket) and a cheap reflector lamp (think the big round shiny aluminum ones). A well stocked home center should have everything that you need, and maybe even a few more plants to help further your addiction.

Steve

and if it is D. adelae i suggest never use any chemicals or fertilizers. a very light misting of superthrive is ok since it's hormones and vitamins

there are CP's that arent supposed to sit in water all the time. however 99% of Drosera, VFT's, Sarrs, most pings and about 90% of Utrics sit in water constantly. basically unless you find a Nep everything you find at a big box store will sit in water constantly with no problems. its only when yah start trading with CP nuts or buy from CP nurseries that you have to start paying a bit of attention.

you prolly want to pick up a copy of The Savage Garden, it usually runs about $20 or your local library might even have it. its an excellent guideline for growing CP's though if you read these forums ou will quickly find its not the final word in growing CP's and some of us grow ours in ways that are almost opposite of what it says but its definatly a good place to start

Okay, I'm home and without further adue: my pitiful looking plants... poor guys
smile_h_32.gif
The first two are indoors when I got home, and the next two are of where I have them placed now.

Drosera:
2781287_1024.ts1153261028412.jpg

VFT:
2781291_1024.ts1153261033733.jpg

outside:
2781290_1024.ts1153261031210.jpg

The pics are a bit blurry, but I would say that your Drosera looks like D. nidiformis. Possibly a hybrid of D. nidiformis and D. intermedia. You will need one of the more expert members (and prolly a better pic) for this one. I just am not sure.

Here are a couple of better ones:

2781629_1024.ts1153262185563.jpg

2781628_1024.ts1153262183569.jpg

2781626_1024.ts1153262180247.jpg

thats an odd 'dew where did yah say yah found it? looks almost like a nidiformis that hasnt gotten enough light but intermedia or hybrid with it is a good guess too

Just wanted to say welcome to Terraforums. You're getting enough good advice. I can't tell the difference between D. nidiformis and D. anglica, but I grow both on window sills. Here's and old pic of D. anglica, which is either what you have or similar to it. It's the one on the right. The one on the left is D.intermedia, which an easy plant to grow, either inside or outside.

Drosera_anglica_intermedia.jpg

I bought it from a local nursery called Sids, which is actually where i'll be headed in about 10 minutes over here. I'm going to pick up some different pots, moss, perlite, and maybe a pitcher plant :-D (not sure what type they have, i'll take pictures if I pick it up.)

Heres a photo tip... It appears that you are using a webcam or a similar low-res camera for your pics.. if you have a small hand held magnifying glass, use that between your camera and your subject and you will get a nice closeup of your subject. It works.. try it..
biggrin.gif

Steve

really? 99 times out of 100 a drosera picked up anywhere but a CP nursery is capensis, spatulata or adelae. congrats on surprising us. after looking it over again im leaning twords intermedia but im not big on temprate drosera, wish Tamlin would have stuck around longer he prolly would have been able to nail it right quick. hopefully some other drosera nut will chime in.

Just got back guys! I picked up a nice Pitcher, some supplies, and did some re-potting. I made the soil up of sphagnum moss, peat moss, and some perlite. I hope I did alright! I know it may have been a bad time to repot, but I simply figured better now than in 2 weeks and disturbing them again. Here are the photos: Also, in the photo with my finger, I was curious if that is too much/too little water? Thanks Guys!

2784332_1024.ts1153270589572.jpg

2784349_1024.ts1153270657486.jpg

2784350_1024.ts1153270660962.jpg

2784353_1024.ts1153270664415.jpg

2784355_1024.ts1153270666791.jpg

2784390_1024.ts1153270839032.jpg

looks like a young S. purpurea to me. as far as the water, if it was me and they are outside you definatly need more. i usually keep 2 inches in mine. if a couple of my pings were in taller pots i would keep atleast 3 inches worth of water. dont worry they will not rot, soak them

Do you feel that the flytraps will make a comeback? And I didn't realize it but I got a 2 for 1 with the Drosera's :-D Also, it may go down to the 50's tonight, whereas our house will be low 70's, but likley less humid. Better inside or outside. Please realize that I appreciate all of your help so much, I know that I am asking a lot of annoying questions, but I want to succeed and once I know the basics, I can go from there
smile.gif

the VFT's should bounce back with no problem.

as far as inside or out. i would bring them inside, temps are fine but i baby mine for the first week or so untill they start growing new roots to make sure they are more firmly planted in the pot incase a gust of wind comes up. oh and one question......................do you have squirrels in your yard/neighborhood?

Yes we do, will they be a problem? Also, if i bring them inside, should i cover them with anything overnight or leave them all exposed to room temps?

leave them exposed

as for the squirrels...................well i dont have squirrels but do a search for them on here. they are now your enemy
smile_m_32.gif

What do you mean by Sphagnum AND peat moss?? You definately need more water. 50's are fine.. leave them outside. S. purpurea can take even light snowfall. Squirrels are a variable.. I would not worry about them unless they become a problem.

Back