What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My favorite drosera D. lanata
droseralanata.jpg

For some reason it doesn't like artificial light with me, no matter how bright it is. I grow it like this, on a bright windowsill:
setup.jpg

Here's my best young byblis liniflora. I grow it outside with a clear cup over it. There IS some air space between the cup and the soil though. Thanks to everyone who replied to my other byblis topic, I put this in full sun after reading all the replies. Make sure you introduce it to different conditions when its still very young. (I moved my windowsill byblis outside and they're still adapting)
byblis-1.jpg

And here's my other favorite one. This one grows under a compact flourescent where I germinate seeds.
byblis2.jpg

Nice plants! I particularly like the D. lanata! How does one go about getting further into the hobby and expanding their collection? In other words, where would I acquire new, different plants such as these?

Thanks!

Join the ICPS and any other society around you can find. I've found the society meetings, besides being good for meeting other cp-growers is also a pretty good source for plants, since everybody is so generous. (Of course, it is polite to return the favor too).
The ICPS seed bank is a good place for everybody to start spreading harder to find species. Once I get some more seed I'm going to have to donate some. But they're too young to flower yet.

the trade/give away forum is a good place to start. if you like Drosera, i would keep an eye out for capensis, spatulata, any of the binata complex. madigascarensis is a neat one. all of these are easy and can be found regularly. the Drosera complex that includes D. lanata is the more uncommon one(except for paradoxa) and these generally require a bit more care. they are becoming more and more common and in a few more years they should be easy to get ahold of.

read through threads, ask questions, participate in discutions, grow more plants, make friends and soon enough you will have more plants than you know what to do with
smile_m_32.gif

Cool, thanks for the info! Filling out my ICPS app. now
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 19 2006,12:44)]Nice plants! I particularly like the D. lanata! How does one go about getting further into the hobby and expanding their collection?
Actually one of the best places to learn (in addition to those mentioned) is the search function here on Terra & on CPUK. You'll find many interesting threads and pics of the plants in which you're interested along w/ growing tips. You'll also tend to get an idea of who's got some experience and who's new to growing (ie: not all recommendations are created equally....)
104.gif

Great way to pass a rainy afternoon / night ...

Back