What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

madagascariensis not germinating

Hi,

about 4 weeks ago i have sown two pots of Dr. madagascariensis, the problem is that they won't germinate. I also have sown Dr. capillaris a weak later and I can already see some little plants, they are in the same conditions as the madagascariensis seeds. The only difference is that the pots of madagascariensis are bigger so the surface might be a bit drier, but I don't really see the problem of this...

Any suggestions ?

You got seeds!!! Mine have been flowering this year and although I've waited what I think is long enough for a pod to be ripe, when I rub the pod, I get no seeds. However, this species is kinda weedy and spreads very nicely via the roots. Other than that, just it give it more time.

I received the seeds from an other member of the Belgian society, I have no experience with this plant... So for now I will just keep waiting a while...

thanks for the reply.

If it will make you feel any better, I've been waiting five weeks for my D. madagascariensis seeds to sprout. Hopefully they will sprout soon.

Jeff

Hi,

four weeks is not really much. In some cases it can take longer than this until the seeds germinate.

@jimscott: Where do you grow your plant? I made the experience, that terrarium grown Drosera produce little or no seeds at all, while the same plants outside in my greenhouse produce many seeds.

Christian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Christian Dietz @ July 21 2006,5:28)]jimscott: Where do you grow your plant? I made the experience, that terrarium grown Drosera produce little or no seeds at all, while the same plants outside in my greenhouse produce many seeds.
I don't use a terrarium setup for amything. For all plants that are tropical, I have at window sills, open tray. D. mad...is in the attic, where it can be as hot as 33 C and usually water-logged. Here is a year old picture of the now 2 year old colony:

AF002201.jpg

I'm open to suggetions.

Alright, I must thank you al for the replies !

Back