What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got a mini pot of Drosera

Hey jimscott:
I know nothing about leaf cuttings, if you can tell me how to do it I'll gladly send you one. ;) I was looking at your gallery, and fancy that D. paradoxa you have.

This colony?

AR000102.jpg

I better get that paintbrush out and get plant parts going!

This is how they really look, with a lesser quality camera:

Strausplants0211.jpg

smile_n_32.gif

Yes the first picture was the one that caught my eye LOL.

Well, I just started my CP collection and would gladly have a little variety going.

Click on the Grow List link for variety! (except for pitcher plants
smile_h_32.gif
)

Jims kicking my arse in variety anymore.........used to be i had him beat hands down but i cant compete even with his Utrics any more
smile_h_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
you really want to see variery? look up Pyro's growlist some time or Jeremiah H.'s its a pain finding holes in those ones.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 21 2006,6:49)]Jims kicking my arse in variety anymore.........used to be i had him beat hands down but i cant compete even with his Utrics any more
smile_h_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
you really want to see variery? look up Pyro's growlist some time or Jeremiah H.'s its a pain finding holes in those ones.
Sheridan - I'm still trying to get "blue" to flower! And I really think it was a tricolor that did - reniform leaves. I'm sending a sampling of the different populations to BCK, so he can look at them under a microscope. Yeah, Jermiah's grow list is insane! Remember that Trading Post offering of 66 species?

Impressive collections you guys have. I can only wish ... maybe in a few years, that is if I don't end up killing all of them!
smile_n_32.gif

LOL! I promise you... you'll have a learning curve! We all have. We have all killed some of our initial plants (if not all). But we'll talk ya through the basics, like water, soil, dormancy, light,...

I've done this hobby on a "shoestring budget". Never bought a plant online. I just respond to the Trading Post offerings and went through the patience of germinating seeds and sprouting leaves & gemmae. It doesn't take long to cultivate these plants.

I could tell more when it flowers, but for now I think Tamlin's Razor applies: "If it looks like it might be D. spatulata, it is D. spatulata". The species is highly variable. See if you can get a flower shot and some details on the scape when it flowers.

lol my growlist isnt impressive. 18 month ago it was decent, right now its easily managable. Jeremiah's is impressive and even more so when seen in person. doesnt take long to rack up plants. keep growing and stick around this forum and you will have most anything yah want in a few years or at the very least know who has it and who to sweet talk
smile_n_32.gif
generosity even if its only giving away common plants will come back to repay yah big time
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vftgrrl @ July 21 2006,6:08)]Impressive collections you guys have. I can only wish ... maybe in a few years, that is if I don't end up killing all of them!
smile_n_32.gif
Ha! You'll be lucky if it takes that long even! Especially if you keep an eye on the trading forum. You can often get plants free there or for the price of postage. With fall coming in a few months, you can expect to see seeds and gemmae being offered in profusion. Especially gemmae. I held back last year to give others a chance to off load theirs. This year I'm going to be trading them off ASAP.

A spat was my initial thought. Agristarts produced D. spatulata "Frazier's Island" and the pot the plant is looks like the same that "Lil Pot of Horrors" comes in(one of the companies that uses Agristart plants).

Cheers,

Joe

Nice looking plant, whatever its name is.

Looks like a Booman's pot to me.
Jest my 2 cents
Lois

Is it possible that the plant in question is something called D. neo-calidonica, which is pictured on the front cover of the Pietropaolo book?

Jim,

No, it is not possible. D. neocaledonica is very unique and this isn't it.

I found a snail in there today! I should've removed it while I still could see it this morning, but I didn't. Will it cause havoc on my CP?

Could eat some stuff, I've had a ping eaten right up by a tiny snail in the past. Never seen one actually kill a sundew but it could make it look kinda ugly, so re-introduce the little fellow somewhere else if you see it again
biggrin.gif

I'd say find a new home for the snail and keep a watch for more. I'd also invest in a magnifying glass for pests, new growth, germination, dew,....

Back