What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got a mini pot of Drosera

Hey all,

While waiting for my shipment of VFTs I visited a local garden shop and found them selling some kind of Sundews, and I bought one. It's now sitting on my patio in a tray of water. Should I leave it in the pot or repot it, and if so, when is a good time to?

I also need to find out what species it is, with your help. Here's a picture:

Any help is appreciated!

-B.

Looks to me to be D. nidiformis. It should do fine outdoors full time. It will prefer slightly dappled light but will also grow in full sun. Watch out for the heat wave we are having right now though, being your plant is brand new, I would say definately keep it in the shade till we get past this heat.

Good luck
Steve

I'm going to dissent and proclaim the dew in question to be a capensis x spat hybrid.

Capslock

Are you sure? Judging by the one I... ahem.. "used" to have, the leaves dont look elongated enough. I could be wrong, the coloration does seem to fit...

Ok I'll keep it from the sun for now, but still outdoors.

Should I trim off the blackened leaves?

Hey, hey no more dissention here. Let's nip it in the bud. Gotta agree with you though capensis x spat looks more like it. My nidiformis has longer petioles with more teardrop shaped leaves.

What garden center carried that one ? Looks like it came from someones own collection. You might want to nose around there again and see what else they have.

If it turns out to be D. capensis x spatulata, you might not want to keep it outside at all. When I say "used" to have, thats because I killed mine leaving it outdoors.

Here is a pic of D. capensis x spatulata. It really doesnt look like the plant in question to me at all. The leaves are much more elongate and not nearly as spoon shaped at the ends.
spatcap1.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

LOL Steve, what happened to the nidiformis? haha!

My D. nidiformis also has much longer petioles and differently shaped leaves. And fewer of them.

I actually have a plant that looks identical to this one, and it came unlabeled. It looks much different than nidiformis side by side.

Capslock

They are selling it for $5.95. The shop is new - The Garden Shed on El Camino (for the Bay Area guys), in San Carlos. They specialize in hydroponics and sell a lot of indoor lighting equipment. They have nice and fat VFTs there too selling for about $7.

Actually, looking at Steve's photo, it jogged my memory. The plant I have that looks the same as vftgrrl's plant is different from my capensis x spat. I still think it's a hybrid, though, and certainly not D. nidiformis:
D_nidiformis.sized.jpg

Capslock

geez Steve your plant looks so nice and healthy. What's the best way to keep it, if its the D. capensis x spatulata ? I bought it two days ago, and it spent that amount of time under part sun (morning sun).

vftgrrl, now it makes sense. I also bought mine here in the bay area at a hydroponics store (Plant It Earth). It has the same pot and the same moss poking through.

Capslock

Capslock: Ahhh, must be the same source. Do you still have yours?

Well that plant in that pic looks considerably worse now that I have almost killed it by trying to grow it in the yard. When that pic was taken it was growing in a 10 gallon tank with 2 24" fluorescent light tubes about 6 inches over the plant.

I still have mine, and it's thriving under fluorescent lights indoors. You can give it a shot outdoors, but a sunny window or in a tank under lights would be a sure bet. In any case, it's not too expensive, and you can make some leaf cuttings just in case.

Capslock

I'd be careful buying plant material at any hydoponics / indoor growing shop in Cali. You'd be surprised what may volunteer sprout later
smile_k_ani_32.gif

LMAO...................like some good smoke...........where is this store at?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Hi VFTgrl and welcome to the foruums! For a rosetted sundew, this looks different enough from plants that all look like variations of a spatulata. It certainly doesn't look like anything I have in my collection, but it really looks like an elongated spatulata. Do they have any more of them? Would you be interested is some sort of trade for one or leaf cuttings thereof?

Getting back to how to handle it, if it SI some sort of cross between those two, I keep all my spatulata & capensis on a south facing window sill, open tray, mix of sand & peat, topdressed with LFS. They are both tropicals and do well on window sills, all year round.

Take it from a person who moves plants around a lot - inside, outside, kitchen attic.... the less moving around, the better. It's easy to chock a plant, particularly one that hasn't has time to establish itself. If you do move a plant, it's best to do so gradually. Specifically, from inside to out, it's best to put it in shade for several days and gradually move it to direct sunlight.

Another caveat about outside is the possibility of aphids. I have bad luck with tropicals getting them - spatulata, capensis, adelae...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 21 2006,2:21)]LMAO...................like some good smoke...........where is this store at?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
biggrin.gif

It's in San Carlos, CA, called The Garden Shed.

Back