What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.petiolaris Complex

I seem to have really bad luck growing any of the Drosera in the petiolaris complex. I live in South Florida...so my conditions are right. I grow them in full sun and sit them in trays of water. Anyone have any pointers? I notice that they tend to get algae on the surface of the soil more than any of my other Drosera. It looks like it chokes them a bit. But I don't like repotting them because they don't like it. I would appreciate any advice.

Manny

is your water ok?

I'll have to watch this thread closely. I too am in S FL, and have quite a petiolaris jones. I just received seed of 6 species and am really very interested in them working out.

Where are you Setep? I'm in Miami. And I know what you mean. I've been into the petiolaris Sundews for a while. I haven't been as successful as I'd like. I just have a hard time getting them established. Maybe growing them from seed is the way to go.

I'm in Fort Pierce. (not really south compared to you)
I have one actual paradoxa that's hanging in, making news leaves and all. I really have high hope for the seeds. I'll keep you posted.

perhaps you should try growing them inside under lights? I grow mine in a covered 20 gal long tank with cfl's.
This group is a bit finicky and growing them outside with all the weather variables is probably a bit tricky.
Don't most of the petiolaris growers on this site grow under lights or at least indoors?
Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Don't most of the petiolaris growers on this site grow under lights or at least indoors?

Yes, sure do! These plants love high temperatures year around. I would think that they'd do well in FL outdoors. I topwater my plants daily, or there abouts and use the tray system. When the water evaporates... I topwater again. This has been working great for me.

-Homer

I grow mine on a windowsill with a glass dome, and it does great.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mfh @ July 23 2006,10:53)]I seem to have really bad luck growing any of the Drosera in the petiolaris complex.
Manny,
Tell us more about what is actually happening. Are the plants to which you are referring just seedlings and getting smothered by algae? Are they full grown? What species of plants are they? What is your media? How old is it? Did you just get these plants and place them outside in the Miami sun? Any idea what the TDS of your water is (yes I know you said it's rainwater)?

I've alays had my paradoxa on a window sill, open tray, similar to Homer. They must be the bombproof representative of the Petiolaris Complex, because they keep flowering and sending out new plants from the roots. No matter haow many I give away, they replenish themselves. On the other hand, Ihave a dilatato-petiolaris that looked great when I received it and went down hill from there. It keeps sending up new leaves and then they have all blackened at the tips. Can't say for sure why, other than perpetual shock. Any tips for this plant would be appreciated.

Setep - man am I jealous! I'd "kill".. or at least give up half my fiefdom for more species, like an ordensis, or a kanealy or broomensis or a.... first born male child (I've got 3 that I can spare!)
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 24 2006,9:47)]On the other hand, Ihave a dilatato-petiolaris that looked great when I received it and went down hill from there. It keeps sending up new leaves and then they have all blackened at the tips. Can't say for sure why, other than perpetual shock. Any tips for this plant would be appreciated.
Jim,
This is common behavior for thin-leaved flat-petiole glabrous plants in this group when they are exposed to lower humidity conditions. While they can sometimes grow in these conditions - they need to be slowly acclimated.

OTOH, if kept like this, the plant will likely die.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It keeps sending up new leaves and then they have all blackened at the tips.

I nearly lost a D. petiolaris due to this. As Ron stated so elequently, low humidity is the culprit.

-Homer

I understand most of you grow them indoors under lights, but in South Florida this should not be necessary. I need that space for Heliamphora, Cephalotus, and Mexican Pings. I can't rememebr all the species I've had. But I know I've had dilato-petiolaris, broomensis, ordensis (?), kenealy, lanata, falconeri, etc. Probably all or most of them at some time or another. I use peat and sand (as well as w/ my other CP...no problems there). As far as the water...I can't tell you much more. It's rainwater...I get live sphagnum growth. Shouldn't be the water. The plants were not seedlings when I got them. And no I didn't expose them to sun as soon as I got them. I acclimated them. It could be that they were coming from an indoor environment. One in which the temperature and humidity was controlled and they could not deal with the drastic change. They don't actually die...they linger in this pathetic state.

Currently, or at least as of last week, I moved the dilatato-petiolaris to the attic, where it is toasty. It has been residing in a plastic tray of live, swampy, LFS. Lotsa heat and humidity to go around. There have been two leaves since that time and I am waiting to see if they'll blacken or not. I'm pen to suggestion as to how best to maintain heat and humidity. I'm also well aware the effects of keeping the plant in constant change.

And the paradoxa don't give a care what I do to them. They must be reproducing from the roots because I see 1/4" plants along the perimeter.

Well Jim...it looks like you can send a couple paradoxas my way. When I get back to Miami maybe we can trade.

Algae growth would indicate there is some micro nutrient in your media so you might want to use aged, washed media. I can not offer much assistance other than that as I grow my petios inside. I did grow a falconeri out in my sunroom, which is just like outside, for a while but I had to move it as the Mexi-Pings needed more space. And on that note, if my Mexi-Pings can handle Atlanta I'd guess that yours could handle Miami well enough so maybe your solution is there-- Put the pIng out and move the petios in.

I've tried growing Mexican Pings outdoors. The only time they can take it is during fall, winter, and early spring. Other than that it's either too hot or too humid. I've also grown petios indoors under lights. They grow well, but are greener than I'd like. I'll try using aged media like you suggested. Thanks.

This is interesting because I would expect this group of plants to thrive oudoors around Miami. It's probably the closest climate in the US to what these plants experience in their native environment: strong thunderstorms throughout the summer and hot quite-dry winters.

Although I believe Pyro is accurate in his assessment of the nutrients causing algae, I doubt that would cause the impact you're experiencing. You're using the same media & water for your inside plants - right? I know of at least one other very successful grower who has algae & moss in his pots but his plants thrive.

From your description, it really sounds like an acclimation issue. In addition to allowing the plants more time to adjust to your outside conditions (realize - wherever you get them - they are coming from an inside environment - it's going to take a while to toughen up). You might also want to try growing a few in an open-top small aquarium with 1/2" of water in the bottom. CP2K has grown D. paradoxa like this in LA, California with good success (you can probably find the threads w/ a search).

Good luck - let us know how you do....

I agree Ron. I believe it probably is an acclimating issue. I occasionally have algae on other pots and this does not adversely affect them. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks.

Manny

Back