What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm planning on trying to grow a few Sundews from seeds pretty soon here, and was hoping you guys could give me some advise.  My initial thought was to pick up a large number of relatively small plastic pots and place one seed in the middle of each, then leave them on a windowsill for a few weeks and see what happens.  Even if only 25% actually germinate, I can always reuse the other 75% of the pots for my next round...and I should be able to find pots cheap enough that it won't matter anyway.

However, reading these forums I've found that common practice seems to be quite the opposite.  Prevailing advice seems to be to 'sprinkle' the seeds over a larger pot.  This seems like it would have many disadvantages; so are there any advantages that I'm missing?  I guess what I was wandering about this method is:

1. Won't you have to repot extremely early in the plant's life before the roots can intertwine with other plants?

2. If so, won't that put much stress on an already weak new seedling?

3. In any case, don't the plants need to compete for soil, water, and nutrients, stunting their growth?

4. Wouldn't method one, as described above, avoid the early repotting stage, allowing the plant to grow quicker in a more static environment?

5. What advantages would method two have over method one?  Is there an extremely low percentage of seeds that germinate?

Then I had a few more questions about growing conditions.  Unfortunately, I won't really be able to setup a terrarium or artificial lighting, so I was planning on using a SouthWest facing windowsill (the only one tall enough that the cat won't get to it).  This will provide Pennsylvania sunlight from around 8:00 am - 10 am and again from around 4:00 pm until sunset over the next few weeks.  It will be in a room (the kitchen) with approximately 300 watts of incandescent recessed lights and another 60 watts of standard (I'm guessing around 5000K) fluorescent tubes used for general lighting.  These lights are one around 5 hours/day on weekdays and 8+ on weekends.

6. Will this be sufficient light for healthy plants?

7. Would it be recommended to buy a 'daylight' fluorescent tube for the kitchen light fixture, even though it's some 6+ feet from the plants?

8. If I would decide to try only a few at a time, how long will seeds stay 'good' for?  In other words, at what point will they no longer be able to grow?

The plants I'm looking at starting with are D Capensis and D Filiformis, and I would like to eventually add D Intermedia into the mix.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks for taking the time to read.
smile.gif

What I've gatherd from other users here, is that you can simply sprinkle a couple seeds into a small plastic container/cup potted with peat moss/perlite/lfs make sure it is moist, cover the top with surran wrap, place on a windowsill, and forget it for a few weeks. I know this does not answer many of your questions but I figured i'd just chime in with my .02 cents. I also think that with artificial lighting, your photoperiod is going to be a bit longer than the 6-8 hours you mentioned.

dont worry bout repotting. capensis are about bomb proof and wont mind the disterbance. im pretty sure filliformis is the same way though ive never started them from seed. with the capensis your prolly going to get close to 100% germination, scatter them on the soil of what ever pot you want to use and when they come up, thin them out. if you have one or two plants in a 4 inch pot they will get good sized, a lot of plants in the pot gives you a bunch on medium sized plants. depends on the look yah want, whether you want a specimen plant or a bush.

Nick,

You are going to get so many D. capensis seeds that you won't possibly ever be able to sow them all. You will have enough to experiment with in all kinds of growing conditions. I have somewhat less of the D. filiformis seeds, but in general they will take whatever the D. capensis will.

Believe me I have NO shortage of seeds... no matter how bad you kill them I can still get you more.. lol

Cheers
Steve

PS. Its good to see you back again

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it, and thanks again for the seeds and welcome Steve.  I'm really looking forward to them and probably will take the time to experiment...a lot.  I have a big project I'd like to do in the next few years (I'll probably start posting for advice soon) and I'll like to harvest these new plants for seeds for that project.  I'm going to try to get a Dionaea (or some seeds) from somewhere soon for the same reason.

How long before seedlings are old enough to send up flowers and produce seed of their own anyway?  I guess I should have researched that before planning around it.
smile_n_32.gif

How long before seedlings are old enough to send up flowers and produce seed of their own anyway?

8 months maybe sooner maybe later

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 28 2006,4:26)]How long before seedlings are old enough to send up flowers and produce seed of their own anyway?

Thanks. I was a little worried that since they were perrenials, they may not produce seed their first year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nicholas_Bostaph @ July 28 2006,3:54)]Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it, and thanks again for the seeds and welcome Steve.  I'm really looking forward to them and probably will take the time to experiment...a lot.

How long before seedlings are old enough to send up flowers and produce seed of their own anyway?  I guess I should have researched that before planning around it.
smile_n_32.gif
'Experiment'? A guy after my own heart!

At this time of year, it is likely that you will see flowering plants about a year from now, possibly in the spring.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nicholas_Bostaph @ July 29 2006,11:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 28 2006,4:26)]How long before seedlings are old enough to send up flowers and produce seed of their own anyway?

Thanks. I was a little worried that since they were perrenials, they may not produce seed their first year.
HA! Capensis will flower in its first year! i got a Hitchiker on one of my pings. the thing only had two very small leaves. it probly was only a short distance from seed. anywhoi got that in december....now it has a flower stalk comin up!
Alex

Back