What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just recently I was successful in producing the following hybrid seed from my gigunda regia:
regia x admirabilis
regia x binata dichotoma giant
regia x binata multifida extrema
regia x capensis giant wide leaf form

Is there potential for these seed being fertile? They were very plump and had the appearance of very healthy normal seed. I haven't been able to find any photos or information on other regia crosses. Have any others been done?

wow. is it possible that the D. regia selfed? do they self?

Wow. You sure would think somebody would have tried, but I have never heard of a hybrid with D. regia before.
Hope the seed germinate for you...

Cheers,

Joe

Good luck, man. A thousand hopeful hearts beat in rythym (sp?) with you.

Yes the regia did self. I hand pollinated each flower when the stigma were fully developed. So far I've harvested 3 selfed pods and tons of seed fell out. I have maybe 30 more pods on the plant...there were 3 flower spikes.

I really hope those seeds germinate, since I've never heard of a D. regia hybrid before. Keep us posted!

Congrats on gettign D. regia from seed.
I tried pollinating a D. venusta with D. regia pollen and the seedlings look like D. venusta. Not really a regulated experiment either.Like I didn't take the anthers off of the venuta flower.
But I have Grown D. regia from seed and wrote and article . It was published in the BACPS newsletter. fall os 2005 , I think.
Of the 21 seedlings that lived to grow,(didn't count how many seeds that i started with)I gave 2 away and don't know their current status the rest have continued to thrive, the tallest one is about 10 inches tall now, 2 years after germination.
Thanx for listening and keep on trying for those hybrids.
Lois

[b said:
Quote[/b] (flytraplady5 @ July 31 2006,1:22)]Of the 21 seedlings that lived to grow,(didn't count how many seeds that i started with)I gave 2 away and don't know their current status the rest have continued to thrive,
Hello Lois,

Well I can tell you the one you gave me is thriving. It is no monster but it grows happily and well. I might up size the pot and see if that helps.

Hey there Pyro,
Nice ot finally meet you on this forum.
Thanx for reminding who was the other recipient of one of those babies.What my previous post said, I think, was that I was successful growin D. regia from seed and published an article in the fall 2005 , I think, BACPS newsletter. No use rewriting the whole article here., Glad to hear that your plant is doing well. The biggest one from the litter, batch whatever is about 10 inches tall,now.
Oh I also tried to cross a D. venusta with a regia and the result was venusta. Of course, I didn't go the whole nine yards and remove the pollen from the venusta.
I still have lots to learn.
Thanx for listening and keep 'em plants growin'
Lois

I can guarantee the purity of my crosses being that I used regia as the seed parent. The pollen ripens the first day the flower opens then the stigma are receptive 2 days later. It's easy to remove the anthers from each flower since they're so large. If these seed are viable, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be, these should make for some very interesting hybrids indeed. I've taken the liberty to treat some of the seed with varying degrees of GA3 solution, some seed will go to a friend for in-vitro culture, and the others will be sown on various media combinations without any GA3 treatment.

Keep us posted please. This sounds interesting.

As I seem to reall the karyotype for D. regia is rather unique. I'm not much into genetics but I would doubt the seed will be fertile in consequence. Ivan could tell you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Aug. 01 2006,2:41)]As I seem to reall the karyotype for D. regia is rather unique. I'm not much into genetics but I would doubt the seed will be fertile in consequence. Ivan could tell you.
Supposedly D. regia is closer to Dionaea & Aldrovanda than to other Drosera (as amazing as that sounds) - so these crosses are unlikely to actually be hybrids (likely to either be infertile or accidental selfings). However, strange things happen ...

I just l;ooked up regia and I have to find one of those guys. :-D I'm pulling for your hybreds. Good luck.

Well Phil,
I would say you launched the perfect attack to this situation. Keep us posted.
I ordered some regia from S. Hill, but they are getting major problems from the USDA and that kind of collapsed, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Aug. 01 2006,6:44)]Here is the link to the Phylogeny of the sundews ... . You can see from the figures the position of D. regia relative to the crosses that were attempted.
http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/90/1/123
Bob,
Thanks for sharing the location of this article. Interestingly, it appears that D. regia is closer to Aldrovanda than Dionaea in the large chart but equal distance from both in the small chart...

Hey there PHil.
Sounds like you have a valid experiment going there.
I didn't have time to look up who may be compatible with whom, when I attempted my venusta cross,
I'm older now and am a wee bit more informed.
Looks like you are way ahead of me on that learning curve.
Good luck
Lois

Hey there Phil.
Any update on the D. regia crosses you were working on in August?
Lois

Alas, I believe Tamlin was correct. The hybrid crosses seem to be sterile. As of yet there has not been any germination. I haven't heard yet about the seed sown in vitro, but I would guess they too...are sterile. It was a good idea but has not reaped any rewards.

Back