What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattler, if it's of any consolation, I highly doubt that it's not flowering due to a genetic variation/mutation. One out of a couple billion times, we'd see flower stalks/buds but they would fail or abort in some way instead of flower stalks simply not appearing. I'd count on this problem being conditional.

EST i believe there is a 95% chance your right, however that doesnt mean im not willing to trade for one of his and see for myself. iz got lots of plants
smile_n_32.gif

I have twelve clones all from root cuttings and at different ages that have never flowered, and a friend of mine has three other clones from this plant and they have never flowererd either. i think i'll take a cutting and root it and by fall I'll send it to you rattler and see if you can get it to bloom.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]EST i believe there is a 95% chance your right, however that doesnt mean im not willing to trade for one of his and see for myself. iz got lots of plants

Here's a productive trade: you two exchange D. capensis clones. If Jack's flowers for rattler, then we know it's not the plant. If Ratter's flowers for Jack, then we know that there's something about Jack's clone that doesn't make it want to flower in his conditions, or that the plant "can't" flower.

Call me crazy, but I'm still skeptical. The best I think we could hope for is a clone that simply doesn't flower in certain conditions. I'd stress the plants; give 'em some heat, not enough water, rough 'em up a bit to see if you can get them to flower. Not reproducing through sexual means when conditions are good is a common theme found in life.

jack, is that tortois real?

Sounds good to me, how about you rattler?
JLAP,no it's just a decoration.

sure how many yah want? you want red or white, plant or seed?
smile_n_32.gif

that looks totally real!

Jack, do your pings in that tank flower in the spring? Just wondering, I'm prolly not on to anything.

-Ben

well mine opened its first flower today. beautiful bloom too! about how long should it be untill the pods are ripe? any tips for catching seed considering it lives outside?
Alex

O.K.
So after eight years of not flowering and starting this log, I come home from camping and find three of my clones have flower stalks, nothing has changed except for my desire to maybe have a cultivar of my very own. Oh well, I'll probably be plagued with cape sundews from now on, I guess there could be worst things. Jack

Back