What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering Drosera Pics!

Hey guys, my D. Intermedia's <span style='color:red'>[Edit: No additional letters need be added to a plant's true name to indicate more than one, they are both singular and plural, as written. Also, the second part of the name, called - "specific epithet", is always written correctly in all lower case letters, no initial capitalization allowed. Should read: D. intermedia]</span>. Flowers.. er flower, one on each plant
smile.gif
opened up today! I figured I'd take the time to share with you guys! These flowers are absolutley tiny! In the second photo you can see a small insect that's just getting stuck >;-D Enjoy!

3404443_1024.ts1155490552534.jpg

3404462_1024.ts1155490751818.jpg

Just thought I'd add one more picture of the victim !
3404775_1024.ts1155491629870.jpg

cute. my 2nd D. capensis 'alba' <span style='color:red'>[Edit: Actually this plant has a valid, registered, cultivar name: Drosera capensis 'Albino']</span> flower is opening today...i hope to get a picture of it!
Alex

Lovely plants EvoWake, and good growing. I've always had difficulty getting this species to grow well and to make it through dormancy.

Thanks Ping! Hopefully all continues to go well with them!

Really beautiful plants!

-Ben

Good job!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Aug. 13 2006,3:39)]cute. my 2nd D. capensis 'alba' <span style='color:red'>[Edit: Actually this plant has a valid, registered, cultivar name: Drosera capensis 'Albino']</span> flower is opening today...i hope to get a picture of it!
Alex
wow im quoting myself.... anyways does this mean seed i get from it will not be the same(Albino)? and who keeps correcting us!!!?
Alex

No, it means that it's not called 'Alba'. The real name that it is registered under is 'Albino'. You should still get D. capensis 'Albino' babies if you germinate your seeds. And I think Pinguiculaman is doing that. (It says this under your post: Edited by PinguiculaMan on Aug. 13 2006,4:24)
smile.gif

-Ben

Awww look, it's a little pygmy's flower!
D. scorpioides
ScorpFlower01.jpg

I'm sure I've got more, but I'd need to search for 'em! We'll see what pictures I can dig up...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Aug. 14 2006,1:25)]...anyways does this mean seed i get from it will not be the same(Albino)? and who keeps correcting us!!!?
Alex
Like Drosera36 said, you should still be able to grow Drosera 'Albino' from the seed, but just remember that if the seedlings don't match the published description for Drosera 'Albino', then they aren't Drosera 'Albino'. Likewise, if you were growing any Drosera from seed and it grew to exactly match the published description for any valid, published, cultivar, then effectively it is that cultivar since genetic identity is not yet being used to fingerprint plants for cultivar registration.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Aug. 14 2006,9:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Aug. 14 2006,1:25)]...anyways does this mean seed i get from it will not be the same(Albino)? and who keeps correcting us!!!?
Alex
Like Drosera36 said, you should still be able to grow Drosera 'Albino' from the seed, but just remember that if the seedlings don't match the published description for Drosera 'Albino', then they aren't Drosera 'Albino'. Likewise, if you were growing any Drosera from seed and it grew to exactly match the published description for any valid, published, cultivar, then effectively it is that cultivar since genetic identity is not yet being used to fingerprint plants for cultivar registration.
gotcha

ok i finally got a pic after....9 FLOWERS! its not bad for the cruddy camera i have.
D. Capensis "Albino"
DSC01468.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

Enjoy...first flowers on any cp rely

Back