What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petilaris Complex

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Homer, any thoughts on germinating petiolaris group seed?
Yes. I have a section on my website that covers this Homer's Carnivorous Garden

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did you place in a hot place?
Sure did.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How long before germination?
D. paradoxa and ordensis = close to 2 weeks. They have been consistently fast to germinate. Some of the others take longer... several weeks to a month or more.
-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pingman @ Aug. 22 2006,9:03)]How long before germination?
As Homer noted, you can frequently get germinations in a few weeks. However some of the seeds will refuse to sprout for months. I had a D. broomensis germinate after 6 months...

In other words, don't be quick to give up!!

Homer, your plants are stunning. A real eye-candy treat! The petiolaris complex has to be some of the most beautiful 'dews. It is a shame they are SO hard to come by...and usually expensive when you do.

Maybe in a few years with more people growing and propagating, eventually they will be as common as spatulata.

Thanks for the photos. That was fun!
smile.gif

Homer, just checked out your link to your website. Thanks for the great update on your seed sowing. this is very helpful!

Peter.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 24 2006,5:46)]Maybe in a few years with more people growing and propagating, eventually they will be as common as spatulata.
Undoubtably, more people growing these guys will help availability. However, they have some attributes which will probably always somewhat limit their numbers:

- not self-pollinating nor self-fertile. To get seed, petios require 2 simultaneously-flowering plants from 2 different seeds (ie: cannot be clones) that must be hand-pollinated
- quirky dormancy needs/requirements
- tend to have more environmental-needs than a 'windowsill' plant to keep them happy long term

speaking of things becoming more common, i just saw a reputable website selling 2 inch D. falconeri for 20 bucks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 25 2006,8:25)]speaking of things becoming more common, i just saw a reputable website selling 2 inch D. falconeri for 20 bucks!
I ordered one last night!
smilie4.gif

I can't wait to start growing it.

Back