What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petilaris Complex

Here are some photos I took of a few plants earlier this month.

lanata_x_broomensis.jpg

Drosera lanata x broomensis

petiolariscomplex1_080506_640x480.jpg

Two clones of Drosera ordensis

ordensis_seedlings_080506_640x480.jpg

Seedlings produced by hand-pollinating the two clones of Drosera ordensis

petiolariscomplex2_080506_640x480.jpg

Drosera falconeri and others

petiolariscomplex3_080506_640x480.jpg

Various forms of Drosera petiolaris

-Homer

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Homer thanks for shareing! These types of dews are still new to me. I have a falconari, and have seen pictures of derbiensis, but I didn't realize there were others like that too. I am still a young grasshoppa, and love seeing new species. Thanks again for sharing!

Homer,
You sure know how to grow the Petilaris Complex dews!

Those Drosera ordensis are cool looking dews.

In the picture of Drosera falconeri and others, what is the plant is the bottom left hand corner?

Homer, thanks for showing pics of your plants!! these are fantastic. I love seeing the hybrids, and pics of your seedlings are exciting.
Keep up growing and let us know when you have spare plants to trade or buy!
Peter
smile.gif

fantastic! i don't know which one i like the best!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 20 2006,3:27)]These types of dews are still new to me. I have a falconari, and have seen pictures of derbiensis, but I didn't realize there were others like that too.
J.B. - Here's the current list of members in the petiolaris complex:

Drosera broomensis
Drosera brevicornis
Drosera caduca
Drosera derbyensis
Drosera darwinensis
Drosera dilatato-petiolaris
Drosera falconeri
Drosera fulva
Drosera kenneallyi
Drosera lanata
Drosera ordensis
Drosera paradoxa
Drosera petiolaris
[edit] D. banksii - - erect-growing annual

Head over to Bob Z's photofinder for a visual treat / education ... As entire families of plants go, many of these are fairly new discoveries (6 were described after Lowrie's 3rd book was published). Given the tremendous size of Northern Australia (and the not too hospitable environment), more species can reasonably be expected ...

Homer,
I've told you this before - but you are kickin some serious butt with your petios.
929.gif
Great job growing! Beautiful pics of some very healthy plants!! Congratulations!!

Rl Thanks for the list.

Something just dawned on me. I just recieves 6 plants and a packet of seed from Bob Z. I feel honered. I will have to go to his site and chack it out. Have a link. I;m still new to these sites. I just found another CP forum last night from reading a post here.

Hi Josh,here is Bobz's site .

Some nice plants you have there Homer!

Jerry

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
In the picture of Drosera falconeri and others, what is the plant is the bottom left hand corner?

D. dilatato-petiolaris "Nhulunbuy, NT"

Thanks everyone for your kind comments
smile.gif

*major drool*

very cool, i have falconeri, paradoxa and just recieved some petiolaris fresh out of TC. i REALLY want to get a broomensis before the temps drop and its to cold to ship this fall

Rattler, what places sell these guys out of TC? I might start looking for them next spring.  I can't buy any plants at the moment, but I would like to know where to get them.  I have spent too much already this summer and I still need to rebuild my GH so no room unless I trade some out.  LOL

Cool Thanks for the link!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Aug. 20 2006,8:04)]Rattler, what places sell these guys out of TC? I might start looking for them next spring. I can't buy any plants at the moment, but I would like to know where to get them.
On a consistent basis & in the states? Nowhere.
actions1.gif
346.gif

Chuck & Michael (West coast exotics or similar) on eBay have been the 1st consistent sources of plant material. Some other nurseries often have them listed but usually are Not Available. For seed, get in on a group Lowrie order. If you happen to live in the LA area, join the LACPS - they frequently have growers bringing plants to sell at the meetings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ Aug. 20 2006,3:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]

D. dilatato-petiolaris "Nhulunbuy, NT"
You mean the really healthy one with all those leaves that haven't been pulled for propagation? You mean that one??
911.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] You mean the really healthy one with all those leaves that haven't been pulled for propagation? You mean that one??

It's recovered from the round of leaf pullings I did in May or June, hasn't it? Since less than 10% got strikes, I need to pull some more and give it a shot again!

-Homer

Just beautiful! What kind of lighting do those plants grow under Homer?

Oh, and by the way, I absolutely love the look of D. ordensis! Would you happen to have any of that species available for trade/sale?

Nice growning homer. More to add to my list. You gotta stop giving all us these crazy ideas.:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rattler, what places sell these guys out of TC?

i know a guy
smile_n_32.gif
i didnt buy them, they were given to me
smile_m_32.gif
good friends are hard to find
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

the best source for this complex at the moment? prolly Chuck via ebay. prolly where ill wind up getting my broomensis or ordensis hate to buy one of these when ive been so good at getting them for free or a bit of trading
smile_n_32.gif
oh well, wont kill me to shovel out some dough, i really like these guys. going to have to try some cuttings off of the falconeri over the winter so ive got trade bait next spring

In sincerely hope to sell or trade most of the young D. ordensis I have early next year when danger of frost is over. You raise the age old question "How does one obtain one of these plants?" I ended up germinating some from seed I recieved from England last year in order to get another clone. It shouldn't be that hard. I know most of you would agree.

These plants promise to be robust and fast growing! I'm very pleased that a few are quarter sized in a matter of only 2 months.

-Homer

Homer, any thoughts on germinating petiolaris group seed?
Did you place in a hot place? How long before germination?

I hope to germinate some seed soon and some tips would be great!
Peter

Back