What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got a whole bunch of Byblis seeds

A friend sent me a B. liniflora plant about 2 weeks ago, and unfortunately, it died. BUT, it had a seed pod on it, and now the seeds are ripe, and I have several dozen sitting on a little plate on my desk. What do I do with them? Do I put them in the fridge? Do I try to germinate them? This is my first time growing Byblis, so I'm not sure what to do. All help is appreciated.

Many thanks,
-Ben

I keep my Byblis liniflora "seedbank" in a hermetically sealed plastic vial with a capsule of dessicant (keeps it very dry). I have many hundreds of seed in that vial, originally collected in 1987-1988 that is still quite viable.

Where could I get these things? Could I sow the seeds right away? Or do I have to put them in the fridge for a few weeks first?

-Ben

The plastic vials I get from suppliers of scientific supplies, they're called sample vials, I shop around on the internet whenever I need more. Usually get 500 for about $30.

Sown immediately, they should germinate rather quickly. See the topic in this forum, Byblis liniflora germination

Ok, thanks. Do the seeds need to be bleached? And will it work if they are soaked in room temp water?

-Ben

They certainly don't "need" the bleach treatment. Neither is "hot" water that important. Fresh seed, sown on the surface of wet media and kept moist, should germinate easily. Pre-treatments are meant to improve/hasten the germination process.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Pre-treatments are meant to improve/hasten the germination process.

And in this case, the difference seems to be pretty noticeable. A 24 hour or overnight soak seems to hasten imbibition considerably and can make getting germination easier.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot guys. The seeds are now soaking, and I've already got their pot assembled.

-Ben

Back