What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivory in Byblis and Roridula without the aid o

Very interesting! This is one of those hard to debate thing because before we can really argue whether something is a carnivore or not, we must define what makes a carnivore a carnivore.

if it obtains those phosphates from prey it catches, then IMO it is a carnivore. many plants have sticky trichomes that kill insects, such as the potato. the potato uses these hair for primrily defensive purposes. Byblis, given the habitat, the odor, etc, must posses some sort of carnivory (maybe to obtain phosphates, that count imo), and thus i don't think it's for defense like the potato, etc.

the next question is why does it catch prey at all? is it to obtain phosphates or is it to feed the little bugs that have a symbiotic relationship with them, and the phosphates are just a plus, where the real nutrients come from droppings?

Hi,

I cannot really answer your questions, but this thread may be of interest to you: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum....5e5b1e0

I agree about Byblis liniflora certainly being a true carnivore- this is no longer merely wishful thinking!

Cheers,

Greg

Back