What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New seeds coming

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hello everyone.  I have won some seeds to a tuberous Drosera peltata off of fleabay, and was wondering if there were some pointers on growing them.

I am also current high bidder on
Drosera auriculata
Drosera gigantea
Drosera stolonifera  

Any tips for germination and growing would be welcomed.  I have read the one about 100 grit sandpaper on the gigantea seeds, but would like some experianced growers tips as well.  Thanks

Only advice I can give is to sow them, keep them cool and damp and be prepared to wait. It took 3 years for me to get germination on my D. ramellosa

i have D. peltata seeds... and auriculata is suposedly the same thing. the other two have to be scarified...unless im thinking of stolonifers ssp stolonifera. try to contact philcula.
Alex

I have never scarified my tuberous seed and they have all germinated. ANd stolonifera and gigantea are among those I have grown from seed

Thanks guys! I will sow them and wait them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Sep. 06 2006,6:52)]Only advice I can give is to sow them, keep them cool and damp and be prepared to wait. It took 3 years for me to get germination on my D. ramellosa
If you're going to have a long wait, be sure to prep your media well to avoid the slime & mold that tends to happen w/ wet pots which sit for looooonnnnngggggggg times ...

Ron could you elaborate please. I am still relatively new and I have a pot right now with slime that I need to repot. How exactly do you prep for slime?

I've used a light dusting of cinnamon before. It seemed to work ok.

Fungicide.

ok I need to get soem clearys anyhow. I got some shrooms popping up in somepots and I am sure it will help deal with some slime too. Thanks

Hi JB,

I found rinsing the potting medium and then zapping it in the microwave does a good slime prevention job. As has been stated these are hard subjects to germinate. I don't believe either scarification or GA3 is of much value, although smoke water and flame treatment may enhance germination. The plants are part of the Austrlian fire ecology. The flames there are hot and quick as the dry brush burns quickly snd moves on. After a large fire common species germination has been noted in areas far removed from the actual fire, which gives creedence to speculation that there is something in the smoke water delivered by the winter rains there that breaks the stubborn germination locks in the seed coat. Respected growers I have spoken with recommend putting the seed where it would sun bake over the summer for sowing on a 80/20 gritty sand/peat mix in late summer. If no germination by late winter, best to allow the medium to dry off to prevent the seed from molding since it'll only germinate with the advance of cooler weather anyways.

Back