What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Capensis

I have several capensis in a terrarium, with other sundews and Pings.
I have had no problem with these plants for several years now.
But recently I've noticed ALL the capensis are turning brown
smile_h_32.gif

I kept the humidity rather high lately, over 90%.
I'm not sure, but perhaps my problem could be fungus caused by the high humidity.
Anyone have any helpful answers?

walter

Could be lots of things. What are your conditions?

in nature Capensis grows in somewhat arid conditions hence one of the reasons of it being so hardy. how much air circulation are you giving it? giving it way more humidity than it needs can be dangerous to one... good luck.
alex
PS if its rot then they might not grow back from the roots.

Or start over and keep them at the window sill, open tray. They do well for me that way.

I suspect the high humidity and lack of circulation may be the problem. Is it too late to save these plants then?
Should I still treat with a fungicide?

walter

Fungicide may help, but I don't know if it's necessary. Try uncovering the terrarium and putting it in a location where there's a modest amount of air circulation. Most Drosera and Pinguicula should do fine with household conditions - mine have seen seasons where the average daytime humidity gets down to 20% or lower, and they didn't so much as flinch. Rotted capensis should come back from roots after a few months; if not I'm sure you can find plenty on the trading forums. I could give you more capensis seed than you'd know what to do with.
Best luck,
~Joe

When was the last time you replanted it with fresh media? They do much better with regular replanting into fresh media.

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Joe, If I lose these plants I may need a few seeds...
smile.gif

Joseph, It's been a long time since the media has been replaced with fresh. That could be another issue.
I'm currently decreasing the humidity and allowing for better air circulation.
One question: won't the decrease in humidity also decrease the
"dew"?

walter

Only temporarily. You live in NC right? Why not grow them outside in full sun during the warm months?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 14 2006,10:18)]Only temporarily. You live in NC right? Why not grow them outside in full sun during the warm months?
if you live in NC then you could grow it outside year round! those roots can survive even in freezng temps

Yes, I live in NC. Never thought I could grow these outside.
That's an idea!! Thanks.
walter

yep. capensis is like a dandelion of CPs. it'll grow during any time of warm wather and if it gets cold it'll die down and once it gets warm come back from its roots...you may get several plants from this!
Alex

I have several bogs gardens filled with Sarracenia and Dionea.
So I'll transplant a few of my Capensis (those that manage to survive)
into the bog this fall.
Thanks Again.
walter

Ooh, be careful about putting them in the bog. Once you turn them loose, they'll be pretty hard to remove. D. capensis is extremely prolific and would probably have no problem crowding out your smaller plants. Better to keep them in a pot; that way they won't get out of control, and as a bonus you can take them indoors during the winter rather than having them die back each year.
~Joe

Back