What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this phenomenon called?

• Thread starter elarwhis
  • Start date
I seem to recall reading something about this a while back, but I can't remember what it was referred to as. Anybody know?

plantOnFlower.jpg

plantOnFlower2.jpg

It looks like its putting off a keiki. Atleast thats what its called in orchids. Many orchids can and do start baby plants on spent flower spikes. Pretty cool. I'm not sure what is is called in dews though.

I have a pygmy dew that is doing that. Pretty strange.

Vivipary,

I am not so sure about the "false" designation though preiously offered

-UPDATE it is indeed False Vivipary....

but you have to be a somewhat nerdy botanist like Barry Meyers-Rice says to designate it as false vivipary as opposed to plain vivipary.

I had that with a capensis, once. False vivipary was one name for it. Vegetative appoximus was another. The forum member called Cindy posted about it a couple years ago.

I don;t understand the terminology though. Because in the animal kingdom you have animals classified as

Viviporous- Live birth
oviporous- egg laying
ovoviviporous- Live birth, but each baby is invlosed in its own membrane. Basicly the animal lays eggs but incubates them inside like many poisonous snakes do, and live baring fish. So I guess I am a little confused with the terminology, but its still cool. I just call them keikis and wait till they have roots and plant them independently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Sep. 14 2006,9:13)]I don;t understand the terminology though. Because in the animal kingdom you have animals classified as

Viviporous- Live birth
oviporous- egg laying
ovoviviporous- Live birth, but each baby is invlosed in its own membrane. Basicly the animal lays eggs but incubates them inside like many poisonous snakes do, and live baring fish. So I guess I am a little confused with the terminology, but its still cool. I just call them keikis and wait till they have roots and plant them independently.
Now you can add two more:

Vivipary- plantlets produced in inflorescence in place of flowers.

Vegetative apomixis - Reproduction entirely by vegetative propagation by plant fragments, bulbils, etc.

A few more terms are here: Plant Speciation.... . It lists several types of plant reproduction in plain English for the most part.

Awesome! Thanks so much everybody. Now I don't have to go crazy trying to remember what it is called.
smile_n_32.gif

You're still free to go crazy, though!
biggrin.gif

Back