What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spatulata (FRASER Island)

This has got to be the number one most misspelled piece of location form data. The plant comes (correct me if I'm wrong) from Fraser Island, off the coast of Australia. I think there are about 4 different spellings in circulation, even on dedicated websites. I think it's important to carry accurate location data with plants that you propagate and disperse. OK, I will lay my editorial eye to rest now, sorry for the rant.

i thought it was Fraiser...

Maybe this place with four names doesn't even really exist. Some exotic plant dealer just came up with it sometime in the 80's when his D. spatulata sales were down. Hmmm, location data...

I've been whingeing and whining about this for the past 3 years on the forum.....

Is this the same plant called Lovelle's sundew? White flower? I'll bet this spelling is also wrong! LOL!

Yes Jim, same plant. Used to be called D. lovellae which was then changed to D. spatulata var. lovellae. The "lovellae" part was named after an English botanist- Lovell Reeve. This plant does originate from Fraser Island and grows around small permanent sand lakes.

As I understand it, the 'lovellae"  designation of certain Fraser Island D. spatulata varients was based on a single collection. Robert Gibson advised me this "Var." designation should be abandoned.

Back