What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dewless D. capensis

sounds like your exactly right. ortho bug-b-gone? SG says orthene is the best but im not sure which kind.

also i need a suggestion for some fungucide to use before i put my plants into dormancy.

Orthenex I believe is the name it is now marketed under. You should be able to find it at just about anyplace that sells pestacides... I have even seen it at the garden center at the local drugstore...

Good luck
Steve

so the stress can be a reason for dewless sundew  
scratch.gif
'cause i allready started to wander why my sundews are dry
smile.gif
on this Saturday i bought 2 droseras - capensis and aliciae (i'm not sure for this one. 'cause on pot was written "mix of plants"
Oo.gif
 and from pictures in internet i found 3 very similar - aliciae, esterhuyseniae and longiscapa). how long it will take for them to start to "cry"?

These are sub-tropicals so they don't require dormancy, but the D. capensis sometimes dies down to the roots. Make sure they're getting plenty of light and are well watered in trays and you'll probably see some dew formation within a week. When looking at the plants, try backlighting them or lighting from various angles. Often times my aliciae looks dewless but changing the light angle brings out the sparkle and indeed there is dew.

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]</span>

i brought them to my office, 'couse it's the best place for them during winter. i put them on a windowstill and plus daylight lamps are on all day long
smile.gif
and today i saw some tiny dews on some leaves!!!!!!! hurray!!!

I have learned that when a sundew is stressed / dewless, that it best to basically forget about the existing leaves. The dew doesn't return to them. Instead, I look for new growth. between stability of conditions and patience (like a week or so), things take care of themselves, so long as there is adequate lighting.

indeed. my D. capensis is shot for now.

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]</span>

Back