What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dewless D. capensis

for some reason my D. capensis wont form any dew. it has a healthy color, is growing well and flowering like friggin crazy, but dry as a bone. any idea what could be causing this?

it gets a whole ton on light and aside from the standard watering i mist it every day. could it actually be getting OVER watered?

meh. kinda looks ugly right now.

Too much water is not likely, I keep mine standing in trays of water 24/7/365.

It's either:

1) Shock, did you recently get the plant or repot it?
2) Not enough light. It takes a lot of energy for the plant to form dew.
3) Could be a pest

Do you keep it standing in a tray of water constantly? If not, it won't make as much dew as it would otherwise.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]it gets a whole ton on light and aside from the standard watering i mist it every day.

The problem is most likely the misting. All that does is wash the dew off the plant. Stop the misting and the plant should rebound just fine.

Steve

I have noticed with my plants that if they are in flower they sometimes stop producing dew as well. My D. paradoxa doesn;t have much do on it at the momment and its in flower. Before the flower pikes came it was covered.

I agree! if most of my Drosera flower they produce much less dew and usually much smaller leaves as well

I'm gonna second what Steve said. Quit misting it. They don't need it and it just washes off the dew.

so flowering + misting = no dew probably.

would it help to cut off the flower shoots? the flowers are lame anyhow =P

If you don't care about the flower or seeds then yeah cut it off and see what happens. It couldn't hurt.

can the lack of humidity dan windy circumstance be the reason of dewless sundew? I have same problem with my new Drosera capensis. Old leaves dried and the tip of young leaves are darken.
I bought it about 3 weeks ago. The media was broken due to the journey from west java to east java and I re-potted it. I put the pot in trays of demineralized water (artificially acidified using sulfuric acid to pH 4.0-4.5... I put in the same water tray for Dionaea).
What shoud I do?

dros061031ii6.jpg

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]</span>

It looks fine!(actually better than mine whenever I got my first D. capensis) One thing that would have helped though would have been a quick soaking in superthrive.

Otherwise it looks like it will pull through.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (syx @ Nov. 03 2006,10:24)](artificially acidified using sulfuric acid to pH 4.0-4.5... I put in the same water tray for dionaea).
lol! wow...now thats called using your resources. lol! I should do that...I use soo many acids and buffers in my biochem lab...I should probably do that too
smile_n_32.gif
lol!

But I guess since it is going to start snowing in canada soon...I will have enough snow to collect and condense to water to stock up for the plants.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (syx @ Nov. 03 2006,10:24)]can the lack of humidity dan windy circumstance be the reason of dewless sundew? I have same problem with my new drosera capensis. Old leaves dried and the tip of young leaves are darken.
I bought it about 3 weeks ago. The media was broken due to the journey from west java to east java and I re-potted it. I put the pot in trays of demineralized water (artificially acidified using sulfuric acid to pH 4.0-4.5... I put in the same water tray for dionaea).
What shoud I do?
Light and time for new leaves to emerge & develop should be all that is necessary for dew production. People associate morning dew on grass with water and think that the dew on sundews is the same and/or that more water / humidity would bring about the dew. But CP dew isn't the same was water dew.

The H2SO4 shouldn't be necessary. Sphagnum peat provides the necessary acidic pH.

I do not know exactly what is the composition of media, but it has pH > 5. I closed the media using moss as you see at the picture.

I agree with Jim Scott. These plants really don't need a whole lot from my experience. A couple hours of sunlight on a sill will make it pretty happy.

Too much wind's no good fer Sundews either..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Nov. 03 2006,10:43)]It looks fine!(actually better than mine whenever I got my first D. capensis) One thing that would have helped though would have been a quick soaking in superthrive.

Otherwise it looks like it will pull through.
Of course it is going to pull through, you almost can't kill D. capensis. At least, I can't and that is saying something!

My D. capensis I have from getting seeds on here a year and a half ago. I put them on the sphagnum, watered it often and waited forever. I gave up on them after 6+ weeks and stopped watering them. About a week or two later (the moss was almost perfectly dry by this time) I started seeing green so I started watering it again. I've gone for a week or two without watering (they are in a plastic cup so it held water for 3-7 days but still was DRY), Iv'e gotten it to shrivel but it always bounces back. I just harvested two sets of seed pods so I'm going to expand my d. capensis (my only CP right now, my VFT's didn't make it through, I don't think I have the patience for VFT's or domestic sundews, only the tropical ones).

I'd just keep watering them and keep them under light 24 hours a day until they get a bit bigger and better established. And yeah, stop the misting.

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]</span>

strange development. my D. capensis no longer produces tencacles (or whatever they are called...) to the tip of the leaves. still no dew, or very little. could it be bad water???

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Nov. 09 2006,1:15)]strange development.  my capensis no longer produces tencacles (or whatever they are called...) to the tip of the leaves. still no dew, or very little.  could it be bad water???
Sounds like aphids to me. Check the underside of the leaves and see if you see any. I recently sprayed mine with Orthro.
dewy

Back