What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis ssp filiformis

glider14

Always a newbie
i have a bunch of D. filiformis ssp filiformis seeds and they will get stratified soon. since it is a northern sundew how hardy is it? i would like to grow it outside year round in my zone 6 weather. does anyone know how tough it is?
Alex

D. filiformis ssp. filiformis for as much as I know is very tolerant of many different conditions and to me atleaste are considered weeds because they are all over the place. They are pretty hardy, maybe not as hardy as D. rotundifolia but it is pretty close.

alright. would like to keep them outside during winter besause i have very limited room in my small fridge. i only have enough room for my live plants in baggies and seeds that need to be stratified...until i find the shelves thats all i have.
Alex

Glider. I got one of these as a stowaway with some sarrs I recieved from JBL and he lives in PA. So I assume they are hardy to survive with the Sarrs outside in PA.

D. filiformis ssp filiformis is native as far north as New Jersey.
Jest the warmer ones like Fla Giant, Fla 'Red' and Tracyi may not take so well to the colder temps.

I grow's em outside year-round up here in southern Ontario, zone 6b I think depending on where ya are, and they go just fine, flower like crazy and divide up like MAD, so you'll be fine Glider
biggrin.gif

awesome. what kind of pritection do you give them Carl?

I put a bit of pine-needle mulch on them (nothing fancy, just pine needles gathered from a local park, where I make sure there's no pesticides or herbicides being sprayed)

I have heard 12" deep recommended, but I usually end up with a mound about 6-8" deep and have not lost a single D.filiformis ssp filiformis yet, same with typical VFTs.
I know a guy who has some growing totally unprotected a few hours north (and a few zones, I'm thinking he must be in a 3 or lower) and they also do fine, they really do seem to grow better than D.rotundifolia, even, despite not being native to here

Not so much for some other Genera, but that was something else what wiped them out.
And in the worst case, get some seeds stratifying mid-winter to replace any losses, but I don't think you have anything to worry about Alex
biggrin.gif

i grow them here in philly and just put a few pine needles on them. They were frozen solid and fine. With those hibernating things it makes them really hardy.

alright!
thanks
Alex

Back