What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. indica x D. burmannii

Cindy

Staff member
Has anyone tried this cross or grows it? I have both species growing together and is wondering if a hybrid can be made if I pollinate the flowers manually.

Thanks!

I don't think it'll work, but I hope it does!

Aren't these two species quite related?

that would be an odd combo...are any CP genuses very close? maby there could be a Sarratonia!
Alex

I'm sure that with enough work they can get a hybred sarr x cobra or a sarr x heli. Hell if we can make a liger we should be able to make that.

You can't make a square peg go into a round hole. Even is they did make a hybrid, they'd have to do some genetic work and that would be more like creating a new plant rather than simply breeding them.

IIRC, Dionaea and D. regia are close enough that breeding attemps have been made.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]IIRC, Dionaea and D. regia are close enough that breeding attemps have been made.
first off what is IIRC? second...wow haha. any success?
Alex

I'm not sure what IIRC stands for, but the Dioneae x D. regia hybrid didn't work out well.

If I remember correctly

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Even is they did make a hybrid, they'd have to do some genetic work and that would be more like creating a new plant rather than simply breeding them.

What are you talking about? Please point me in the direction of technology that allows someone to create a plant. Oh wait...

he means by like adding and removing genes to make a new plant.... like uh...genetically enhanced veggies and fruits.
Cindy: go for it! all you have to loose is a D. indica(im sure you got burmannii all over the place)
Alex

You wouldn't necessarily have to remove or add anything. I'm not an expert on ferns, but they have what...23,000 genes or something? Compare that to Arabidopsis, which has...i can't remember the exact number...but its less than 10. Usually plants will sort themselves out, i mean...look at polyploidy. Also, yes, GMOs are created by cutting a gene from DNA of an organism and inserting it to another, but this is done for disease resistance, ability to tolerate a wider temperature range, etc. If a cross doesn't work, its not going to work. Gene splicing (at least not in the near future) wouldn't allow two organisms that have divered so far in the past to be hybridized. To get that effect, you'd probably have to create a graft chimera

I can see you cooking up ideas and retreating to your basement for a month
smile.gif

Trust me man, if I had the funding/space...I'd be all over it. As far as I know, no one is conducting experiments with graft chimeras in the CP world (though of course, I may be wrong). Also, remember those D. regia x Dionaea hybrids? If I am correct, I think only a handful of people (3 or so...) tried them, and the seedlings all died. Personally, I think a D. regia x Aldrovanda or Aldrovanda x Dionaea would be "heartier" and would have a higher possibility of surviving, at least longer than D. regia x Dionaea. If I could get my hands on some of those seedlings though...man do I have some ideas haha.

Someone get me some government grants or something
smile_m_32.gif

seedlings...wait! they were viable seed!!! thats amazing! were there any pictures taken?
Alex

EDIT: what about Pings and utrics or utrics and Genlisea? hmmmm
Alex

yes they were viable, but they died after a few weeks i think. There was a discussion about it not too long ago on the listserv. I think BobZ had a few actually...

laugh.gif
Both are sundews and both are tropical sundews...I don't know how the discussions went to VFTs and other CPs...

Anyhow, I've pollinated the indica with burmannnii pollen and the seeds are sown. Will update here when I get seedlings. I am not sure if it will work 'cos indica is self-pollinating and the flowers ain't there large to fiddle with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Oct. 15 2006,7:37)]I think BobZ had a few actually...
Nope. Not me.

well i mena we have orchid intergenics...why cant we have CPs? i mean some are so close like utrics and genlisea and sarracenia and darlingtonia...why cant there be. ALSO! why cant some neps be crossed like for example rajah and truncata or rajah and ventricosa....its not like theres a difference in structure too much...look at Truncata x Campanulata!!
Alex

Back