What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

growing binata complex.........

outdoors in summer in northeastern Montana: Observations, Year 1............

next year im not going to bother, betweeen the wind, the heat and the lack of humidity they looked like crap till it cooled off last month, than they went nuts. the pings i had outside did fine but i prefer the pink leaves i get under flourecent lights to the bright gree of full sun. my VFT's look like death warmed over as well.........

You might want to reconsider. When they come back up from their roots and experience those conditions from the get go they will probably be more robust. The heat should not be a problem (mine in Atl don't care) and the wind shouldn't dpo much mnore than maybe tnagle the leaves. As far as humidity, try deep trays, it works for me.

ive alread brought them inside, its hitting 20 out this week.....another month and it will be getting down to 0 after that who knows. think im just going to move them to the office. the pings might get another go outsid next year though.

you sure 105 degrees, 15% humidity AND 20+ mph winds all at the same time isnt hurting them?
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 12 2006,11:05)]you sure 105 degrees, 15% humidity AND 20+ mph winds all at the same time isnt hurting them?
smile_n_32.gif
I am sure of nothing but I keep mine outside year round here in Atl and it can get pretty brutal in summer (and winter as well if you consider that these guys are customarily considered tropicals). Nothing has stopped them yet, if I get a chance I'll photo the hanging basket I started last year from root bits to give you an idea of just how hardy they are.

lol true but there is hardy and than their is HARDY..........this climate is rough on anything. hotter than hell in the summer and colder than hell in winter. i think ill just keep them in the window at the office.

Chicken. Bak bak bak LMAO he he he

How about an experiment with extra plants started from root cuttings or something Sheridan?

cause i get tired of dumping 3 gallons of RO water in their tray every 36-48 hours from mid June to the first of September
smile_n_32.gif
if i put them in a south window than its 3 gallons once a week if that.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 12 2006,2:56)]cause i get tired of dumping 3 gallons of RO water in their tray every 36-48 hours from mid June to the first of September
smile_n_32.gif
if i put them in a south window than its 3 gallons once a week if that.
smile_m_32.gif
Just use tap and top water. These guys are brutes.

lol will have to try tap water..............thanks to the neighbor kids i have 5 pots of unidentified binata complex dews. glad the pings were easy to tell apart
smile_n_32.gif

SHouldn't be too difficult to tell them apart or at least get half way there. The extrema and dichotoma "small red" should be obviously different than the dichotoma "giant" and 'Martson Dragon'. Telling apart the extrema and the dicho "small red" is a little more difficult but not much. The prior is more robust in stature with broader petioles, it also colours a bit deeper than the latter. Telling apart the dicho "giant" from the 'Dragon' is nearly impossible. The 'Dragon' should point more than the "giant" and the "giant" should get larger but that is dependent on pot size. Truth be told I am not fully convinced that the plants circulating as 'Martson Dragon' are the real thing as plants that I have had for 5 years look just like my dicho "giant". I'd really love to get a 'Dragon' that can be traced 100% back to Slack for comparison...

That's funny you mention that, Travis, out of all the D.binata complex plants I have, the Dragon and dichotoma "giant" are the ones I can't distinguish between, tho in general, the one that is supposedly "Marston Dragon" does tend to have "wigglier" arms, and is just a wee bit taller overall than the suspected "Dragon"

Back